catfish substrate ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bushkill

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2011
Bushkill, PA
Real Name
Angelo
Well, it seems like forever. Well It's close I guess. I don't think I've had a FW tank in the house in about 15 years. I finally got around to carving up the fishroom and got my first FW tank going. Water's in, circulation and filter running, and should start a fishless cycle this weekend.

But thinking down the line...... it has a base of flourite with black Carib-Sea "tahitian moon" sand over it. For this one tank, the black substrate just looks awesome. But it's been so long since I've dealt with FW fis issues that I have what I hope isn't a lame question: This substrate looks and feels like a black silica-based sand. Does anyone think it would cause issues with a few cory cats rooting around in it?

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
I've used the Moon sand in planted tanks with corey cats with no issues. I had a tank set up with it and some albino cories. They did great and I never say an issue with missing "whiskers". They would just do their regular janitorial service on the bottom picking things up and spitting out what they didn't want, including the sand. They were in the tank for a little over 2 years before I tore it down. I don't know if some one else has had different experience, but this is mine. HTH

Bushkill

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2011
Bushkill, PA
Real Name
Angelo
Thank you both very much! I had read a couple threads with indirect references to the type of substrate causing issues with corys. Intuitively, the silica-based substrates gave me reason to just think it over a bit more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store