I'm having a bad week.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jiyafuku

AC Members
Jan 17, 2011
NW Pennsylvania
Real Name
Josh
Two of my female bettas were in a 20 gallon I had running, waiting for some red top kimpunas I got off a buddy. They're tank was getting an overhaul. I put my white male in there while I was get his tank rescaped, figuring they would dart away and hide but everyone would be okay for a little while. No, they went freaking wolf pack on him after I turned my back. Got him out, put him a two quart jar to chill out. He looked okay. A few fin tears, but otherwise, more just a little shaken up than anything. Then next day, I got my red tops and went to net out the female bettas and move them to their new home only to find each one dead in a separate corner. After reaching my hand in to pull them out because the net was getting caught on decorations, I realized the water was freezing. Some how the heater had come unplugged(I have a nearly two year old and a dog) and coincidently the furnace was acting up the night before causing the house to get pretty chilly. That sucked. I had both of them almost since I started keeping bettas. The next day, my white one up and died with no real warning since he acted fine since his incident. That hurt, my mom got him for me because I fell in love with how pretty he was but had sworn not to buy any fish for a while, so she got him for me so could get around that. Then today, I go to feed the guys I have left, and notice my brick colored veiltail isn't popping out of his hiding places to snap up some food, I pull the stand out and look at the back and there he is, dead, wedged under the heater. I'm going to guess he swam under there during the night, got stuck, and suffocated. This has been the most frustrating week of fish keeping I've had since I started out and did everything wrong before doing some research and learning the right way to do things.

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
Hang in there. Everyone has had times like that. Some of mine have started with not quarantining a new fish, and have resulted in me hating everything about my tanks because it is so heartbreaking to watch everything go downhill so fast. Earlier this winter I lost a horse water tank full of a few goldfish I have had for ages and a few babies I had raised. The heater stuck in the "on" position and cooked everyone. :( So I really do understand. This too shall pass...
Lisa

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
It happens, my cichlids corner every new fish and take bites at it then they leave it alone. Only 6 loaches and plecos have died in that tank though! Thank God for refunds!

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
ah yeah, we all run into a few bumps and bruises but we come out of it ok. Sucks to lose the favorites though, I am sorry to hear that.... I know when you get a good one with bettas, they are hard to let go of....

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I'm really sorry about all this! I just went through a handful of losses a couple of months ago. A skinny fish here, another with dropsy there...some were old, and some weren't. My 6 cardinals all got ich, and I was only able to save one (who died prematurely anyhow). Either way, it sure does make you feel lousy :( What helps me to is to look around and actually notice all of the things that are going *right* - plants that are thriving on their own, fish breeding (just a pair of convicts, but still makes me smile!) or the way certain fish have colored up or grown, like my red glass barbs and my lone festivum.

LiveMermaid07

Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.
Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
So sorry for you loss. :(

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name