Dalmatian Molly

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Neptunius

AC Members
Dec 16, 2011
Boston, MA
I have a dalmatian molly in a 20 gallon tank with a variety of other fish. Over the past two weeks I've noticed it becoming either fatter or bloated, I'm not sure, and then in the past few days I've noticed that its scales are sort of "pineconing" (as I just read about it in a fish book). I'm not sure what's causing this. All the other fish seem to be doing gine, and the nitrate/nitrite levels are within the safe range. Any thoughts?

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
How long has your tank been set up? What are your ammonia levels? How often do you do water changes and when was the last one? What are your exact nitrite and nitrate levels? What is the other stock in your tank?

When a fish starts to pinecone it is not a good thing. Any chance it's just a pregnant molly about to drop fry? It is often an internal infection and a sign of poor water quality.

We need a bit more information to be able to help.

Neptunius

AC Members
Dec 16, 2011
Boston, MA
I've had it set up for about three months now.
The ph is currently 6.6
The Ammonia is 0ppm
Nitrite is 0ppm
Nitrate is between 10 and 20ppm I really couldn't be sure because the color variation seems very subtle.

I do 20% water changes weekly and teh last one was two days ago.

As far as the other stock I have 5 black skirt tetras, 3 red eye tetras, 2 orange swordtails

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Liquid test kit?

betteraquariums

Registered Member
Feb 15, 2012
Brandon,FL
www.betteraquariums.wordpress.com
Real Name
Dan
I have a dalmatian molly in a 20 gallon tank with a variety of other fish. Over the past two weeks I've noticed it becoming either fatter or bloated, I'm not sure, and then in the past few days I've noticed that its scales are sort of "pineconing" (as I just read about it in a fish book). I'm not sure what's causing this. All the other fish seem to be doing gine, and the nitrate/nitrite levels are within the safe range. Any thoughts?
I am sorry to hear this but it sounds like dropsy to me.
Dropsy is extremely difficult to treat and most fish die from it. The Molly is suffering from.an internal problem (most likely bacterial) and can be caused by numerous things.

What type of feed do you use?

Sent from my Desire HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
I've always heard that mollies don't do well in water that's too soft. Since your pH is on the low side, it's possible that the water isn't hard enough to keep them long term.

Neptunius

AC Members
Dec 16, 2011
Boston, MA
Good point Jannika. The Molly had lived and seemed to thrive for a few months. Sadly today it settled to the bottom of the tank and never came back up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store