L450 FRY

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Yep. About a month ago I saw an egg sac with a tail on the floor of my L450 tank. Got out the turkey baster, looked for a dad with a bunch of eggs, and squirted the littler bugger back into the cave. When I checked back a day or 2 later, I couldn't see any eggs, but dad was doing a pretty good job of covering up the cave. I checked every day and saw nothing, until I saw dad's cave empty - no eggs, no fry. This AM when I was doing my weekly WCs, I saw a free swimming fry on the L450 tank. Yahoo ! I only saw 1, but I hope there are more. The next time I see the little guy/girl, I will have the camera ready. But they're in there !!

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I will get right on that.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
This is my L450 tank. It is a 20 long, bare bottom (all my pleco breeding tanks are BB), with an AC 50 filter on 1 end, and a sponge filter in the rear left corner. Temp is 84°, and there is an Aquaball 1212 power head in the upper left rear corner for more oxygenation, as well as a Koralia water pump in the lower right corner to keep the rear of the tank free from debris. It pushes stuff to the left, front and rear. My light s are on 10 hours a day on this tank. There are 6 adults, therefore 7 caves and driftwood and slate and a couple of token anubias. I feed all my plecos every other day (except fry who get fed every day), a mixture of NLS, froz bloodworms, froz brine shrimp, earthworm stix, and lots of other stuff. Here are a few pics. Enjoy:
This is the tank

This is the best shot of 1 of the fry that I could get on short notice

A couple of the girls hanging in the back (I believe I have 4 males and 2 females or 3 and 3.

2 layers of caves. The dads tank was on the 2nd level

One of the boys (they don't venture out much during the day)

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
One successful spawn is encouraging, will likely be more coming. With any luck they'll improve with practice too. Are the adults WC or tank-raised?

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
todd, the parents are F1s.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
They should be easier to spawn than WC's once they're mature (at least that's my theory.) Being raised in aquariums they'll have had a steady diet and no diseases or parasites, so they should be strong and healthy young fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store