My apple snail ran away.. last night and I can't find him!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JustDoinMe

AC Members
Feb 14, 2012
So I moved my apple snail to a small planted bowl, and last night I heard something fall around the bowl but I didn't really think it through and just went back to sleep.
I go to check on the snail when I wake up and he isn't even there.. and I immediately thought, uh oh. :uhoh:

I looked around that area and I can't find the snail.. how far can they travel without water?

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Apple snails actually produce a lot of waste, I wouldnt house them in a bowl at all since they are also fairly sensitive to water quality and will leave the water if it gets too bad. It is possible that the water quality got poor and the snail left the water. I'm not sure how long they can live without water, it would depend a lot on humidity and temperature. A snail doesnt stand much chance if it dries up. They can move pretty quickly though when the mood suits them. Good luck.

JustDoinMe

AC Members
Feb 14, 2012
Thanks but..I still haven't found my apply snail, this sucks. It's probably going to start smelling somewhere and even then I probably won't find it

JustDoinMe

AC Members
Feb 14, 2012
EDIT - Found my apple snail just now, I got water from my main tank and put it in a cup. When I put him in, air bubbles came out of the shell.

He's starting to come out of the shell right now! I'm surprised he's even alive, it's been over a day and a half without water.
He has a small crack on his shell but seems to be able to make a comeback.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Awww. Poor guy/girl decided to go for a walk. I'm glad you found him.

If you feel the crack in his shell is a problem, you can try covering it with a quick dry nail polish. It could help him/her seal back up. I would give him a while to recoup prior to putting it on him though.

I've never had luck in keeping the mystery snails in bowls of any kind. My daughter tried to keep one in her 5 gallon betta tank and it tried to go walk-about on her too. Water quality was perfect, I just think it didn't like the smaller tank.

Last edited:

JustDoinMe

AC Members
Feb 14, 2012
I put him back in the same bowl just to observe him for a day and the snail seems to have recouped.
I think I'm going to put him in the 20 gallon, hopefully my good plants won't get eaten hah =\

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store