Ideas wanted for 60g freshwater tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pisces70

AC Members
Feb 18, 2012
Hello to everyone!
I've been away from fishkeeping for about 5 years and just got the bug again! I plan to setup a brand new 60 gallon (same dimensions as a standard 55g, just taller) freshwater tank in the next few weeks. My problem is that I have no idea what type of freshwater system to focus on at the moment. In the past I've kept various freshwater community fish in a 55g and my only specialty tank was a 20L with dividers for 4 male bettas. I'm not new to fishkeeping and I've also kept saltwater fish and reef tanks, so pretty much anything should be doable in freshwater. Any biotope specific tanks that you could suggest? Feel free to list any special items needed such as lighting, filtration, substrate, fish, plants, and such.

Thank you in advance for your help in trying to decide what to do with this bare tank.

Last edited:

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
Three or four fancy goldfish, like fantails or ryukins. :)

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
yup, nano this n that, plus lots of plants.

Maybe some kind of cork scape.

And of course, paint the back and maybe even the sides. I like black so far.

Disclaimer:
My experience with nano has been limited to cory's and neons, etc.
I'm still really new to plants, but don't foresee any fake plant buying in my future.
Never done any cork in an aquarium, but have seen alot of cool stuff on here with it.
And just to add... I'm not a fan of the "center piece" fish. I just think it distracts from all the coolness of the tank as a whole.
So if somewhere along the line you type in "center piece fish". That wah wah wahhh you hear, will be coming from my direction.

pisces70

AC Members
Feb 18, 2012
@finsnfur...Sorry but I've done goldfish and I'm not really into them anymore. But if I ever set up my smaller tank the kids would probably love to have a couple of goldfish.
@jpappy789 & SMinNC...I do like all the variety with a community which is why I usually go that way, and in a 60g I could have lots of movement in there by sticking with small schooling fish. I have yet to do a full-blown planted tank so that would be fun. Cork is a new subject to me and I'll have to look into that, it sounds interesting! What do you do with cork? I do paint the back of the tank, a nice dark blue or black. The sides will be viewable so they are staying clear this time.

I've been looking up how to do planted aquariums and other very specific biotopes as well...what's your favorite biotope aquarium? I'm kind of looking for a bit of a challenge this time around. Thanks for the help.

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Biotopes are fun...depends on how specific you want to get. You can do a whole region (Amazon, SE Asia, etc.) or be as picky as the exact watershed or river.

It's hard for me to decide, personally, which I would like best.

TheAdmira1

AC Members
Dec 18, 2011
Amazonian tank FTW:D I think thats what my 60g is slowly transforming into haha Then you could get some apistogrammas

pisces70

AC Members
Feb 18, 2012
Thank you all for the ideas! I really need to get myself familiarized with freshwater species and plants and tank specs all over again, it's been a long time since I've done freshwater.
Right now I'm researching the Amazon blackwater biotope and Lake Tanganyika biotope. If either of these don't come about, I suppose it will become a basic community tank, which is fun, too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store