please help my black moor and setup!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

parrotcraze

AC Members
Feb 18, 2012
ok heres the deal, I have a sixty gallon aquarium around four foot long and two foot wide and high. yesreday in only housed three two inch parrot fish and one three inch upside down catfish. I saw my neighbor moving out of fis apartment, he told me he was leaving his twenty gallon golfish aquarium behind so I took these fish in, lowered my temp to 74 f and added the four goldfish whichal all seem to be in great health except on black moor which has a swollen red eye thats getting bigger. I dont have a hospital tank so after I noticed a few white spots on the same black more ive began treating the enture aquarium with ich cure, stresscoat and alovera chemicals.the spots have decreased but im still going to treat the tank until thir gone. none of the other fish show spots. I know I should add salt to help with the treatment but the only petsore around doesnt carry salt. so how can I save this black moor?! is this a disease or injury?

Ive been in the hobby for ten years and I know your not supposed mix cold water fish with tropics but all these fish can can do well at a temp of 74f so could this work? thanks for any help!

Last edited:

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Are you sure it's ick? Sometimes moors get white spots when there is either fungus or an injury. If you've been in the hobby for ten years, though, I am sure that you know ick when you see it-- small, salt-like granules on the fish.

The eye swelling could be from previous poor water conditions. I'm sure that you test your parameters, but that sounds like one very heavily stocked 60. In my 60 I have only three fancy goldfish and am running triple filtration on the tank. The addition of four full-grown goldfish to your current stocking might be playing havoc with your water conditions and aggravating the moor's eye problem. It's hard to know without parameters from the tank.

I think that the temperatures could work (I keep my fancies at 70-71, and have never had any problems) Are the parrots aggressive? I was under the impression that they were fairly aggressive fish. I've never had them. Fancies, especially telescopes, are kind of bumbling and slow-moving. They may not do too well long term with a more aggressive fish. As a lover of goldfish, however, I want to give you a virtual high five for rescuing those poor goldies!! :)

parrotcraze

AC Members
Feb 18, 2012
thank you and yes im sure its ich but it seemsto be getting better, my ph is 6.8 and ammonia and nitrates are at zero. you really think the aquarium is overstocked though? do you think the black moor will survive?

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
I agree that the aquarium is overstocked... If you wanted to do the 60 for just the goldies, that would be better (a larger tank would be ideal). I don't think mixing tropicals and cold water species is a good idea either. Do you still have the 20 Gal your neighbor had? Set that up as a hospital tank.

parrotcraze

AC Members
Feb 18, 2012
He took the aquarium, I dont have a hospital tank so im treating them all to be safe. the parrits are bairly two inches and the catfish is just at three inches, I dont see how the aquarium is overstocked when it looks so empty. and what is the problem mixing them when they all tolerate the same water parameters?

parrotcraze

AC Members
Feb 18, 2012
I even follow the inch per gallon rule and I still have space. heres a quick pic, ill get more in a bit. thanks for all the help guys, im jusy hoping the tank is big enough and things can work out.

parrotcraze

AC Members
Feb 18, 2012
apparently the forums cant upload pics from my,phone. pretty much all I need to know is the black moor going to survivr this?

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
The one inch per gallon rule doesnt work with goldfish because they are such high waste producers. The general rule for goldfish is 20 gallons of water volume per fish with a large footprint for swimming space. Fancies dont need as much room as comet goldfish, but they still get very large and while it might not look overstocked right now, in a few months when the goldfish get bigger (they grow pretty fast) it will be an entirely different story. Also, while goldfish and parrots might be able to tolerate 74 degree water, it certainly isnt ideal for either species and you may wind up with problems down the road. While I think it is great you took those goldies in, it might be best for them and your other fish for you to find a home with a tank better suited to their needs.

The best thing you can do for the moor right now is to keep the water quality as high as possible, which can be hard with goldfish. I would do daily 30% water changes until he recovers.

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
It's not a matter of the size of fish, the 1" per gallon rule is crap. Goldfish are SUPER messy fish - they produce a lot of poo and all of those fish get pretty large. There is no guarantee that the fish will survive, especially since it is in a tank with other messy fish. You have to keep the water 100% pristine for the fish to heal.

parrotcraze

AC Members
Feb 18, 2012
thanks for the help. the moor just passed so now its diwn to three golfish, the two five inch commons and the one four inch fancy. so that covers the twenty gallon gallon rule with the exception of rhe three parrots and the catfish. none of the others are showing spots except for one parrott which has a couple, but,now that the carrier is out of the tank I should be okay with a few more days of treatment right? I always do daily 30 percent water changes so shoukd my setup be okay now?

sorry my typing sucks im on my droid.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store