Fishes with Cherry Shrimp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CrustaceaCurtis

AC Members
Feb 17, 2012
North of Boston
I'm looking to start a 20L red cherry shrimp colony and wanted to know what fishes people have successfully kept with RCS. I've heard good things about guppy/shrimp compatibility. Any advice?
I currently have two ghost shrimp, two tadpole shrimp (Triops), and two nerita snails in a 6.6 gallon that will eventually be transferred to the 20L.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i have kept many different fish with cherry shrimps, and although i didn't see the population increase (i think i had only one female!), i didn't see the numbers dwindle at all. bettas, angels, danios, rainbowfish, albino rainbow shark, rosy barbs, black ruby barb, bn plecos, etc all were housed with cherry shrimp and a few green shrimp here, no issues.

all fish are different though, as far as 'personality' and aggressiveness towards other species. most of my fish you could swear are on valium all the time, they are so mellow. lol!

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
I personally wouldnt go with guppies. Mine are very voracious eaters and are constantly picking at the gravel and plants for stuff to eat. A baby shrimp would be an appetizer to a full grown guppy. My suggestion is to get some nano fish. Chili rasboras, CPDs, even neons would be ok. I have two tanks with shrimp. One is a fry growout tank and the other has neons. Mine dont breed for whatever reason I cant figure out, but I've never had one be eaten. Good luck!

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Chili rasboras arent super common, but I think that msjinkzd on this forum sells them. Because of their tiny size (smaller than 1") they do require a bit of specialized feeding. Make sure you research them and know what they need and that you can provide it before you decide to get any. My LFS had some and they are almost the same size as adult cherry shrimp and looked awesome with them. I wanted to get some, but I didnt have tank space.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
If the tank is well planted you are more likely to have success. In my 40 breeder I have a nice colony of shrimp with cories, neon tetras and a betta. Most all of those fish will eat babies but since the tank is so heavily planted the babies have a lot of places to hide.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I keep Cherries with chili rasboras and Habrosus cories without a problem.

all 3 from Msjinxd FWIW

sanjina

AC Members
Apr 26, 2011
Real Name
Cesca
My RCS are in with honey gouramis, neon tetras, juvenile platies and pork chop rasboras without issues, but in such a small tank, you are probably better off seeking out the nano fish such as the chili rasboras mentioned above.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store