Buying Bettas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if most people purchased their bettas from their local stores or if some purchased more expensive ones from breeders. (Either online or locally)

I'm trying to decide if I want to get a more show quality bettas or not. If you purchased online, where did you get them?

Thanks!

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
I'm in a similar situation Have looked around locally and have been very disappointed with what's available.
i have no intention of breeding them so reluctant to spend the 30/40 bucks for a fish lol.
Now if you intend to breed tthem create a strain of your own obviously you'll need the best stock. I f just a pet than it does seem excessive?? I'm going to expand my search locally for a while at least. good luck gary

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
I'm lucky to have a LFS that specializes in bettas and imports from show breeders in thailand, so I always buy my bettas there. He always has the best stock and doesnt keep them in tiny cups. I know it is sad to see them in there and you just want to rescue them from that fate, but its the same thing as buying puppy mill puppies. The more people buy them to "rescue" them, the more bettas are produced for that store's profit and kept in cups. You're not doing the industry any favors by rescuing them. It is really sad to see them in those conditions and I know I always want to take one home too to save it, but rather than supporting it with your money, you would be better off doing something to try to change the store's mind.

Well, after a lot of thinking and pondering I have taken the leap and ordered two bettas from Thailand and one from Niagra, Ontario. So far they are suppose to show up on the 14th of March.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sPEEdfLR00&feature=player_embedded
This is a video of the one from Niagra. He's called a big ear betta

Salmander Betta.jpgTeal Betta.jpg

The first is called a Steel Salamander Butterfly and he's OHM and the second is Metallic Black + Mustard Gas and he's also an OHM

I'll keep you guys posted on how it all goes with them and I'll take my own pictures too.

Salmander Betta.jpg Teal Betta.jpg

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
WOW !! Really outstanding specimens lol Of course now you will be obligated to breed them and you too can wash a 100 jars every other day lol Let us know how they work out??? gary

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store