help I don't know what to feed my fish/eel besides live food...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lazersniper

AC Members
Mar 9, 2004
WI
Visit site
I have searched the forum for archives. I've read through 10 pages worth and I"m still unsure.
I have a freshwater baracuda/slant nose gar (hujeta). My plan was to feed him feeders as a primary source. I've done the search and I've read that feeders may contain parasites, has no nutrition, etc. I've got guppies of my own who have bred so I will soon have a consistent source of feeders. I"m currently feeding him the ones that I think are a good size for him as some are too large and some are too small.

Do these statements that concern parasites and nutritional value only include poorly handled store bought feeders or all feeders?

My gar doesn't seem to eat anything else. Obviously doesn't eccept flake food, I've tried tubifex (not the live ones), shimp pellets, freeze dried blood worms and a few others with no luck. All sites I've researched tell me that live fish are the way to go and are essential to it's growth and health. These fish are wild cought so I know they're getting fish as a main source of food before I recieved it.

It's a good thing the guppies and other fish I own like the shrimp pellets and tubifex otherwise I'd have bought a bunch of food for nothing. This is one of my main problems, I don't want to go trying out every single kind of food only to find that it won't eat it.

If feeders aren't a good source of primary food then what can I feed him? Does anyone have any expierience with this fish? (I don't want to have all these cans of food sitting around wasted, and I don't want to spend all this money on food that it won't eat) If those statements are directed towards poorly cared for store bought feeders, then how do I make sure my guppies will provied enough nutrients for my gar?

Secondly I have a peacock eel. I have some ghost shrimp on order but are they pretty much treated the same as the feeder fish? Is this a good source of food for my eel? The guy/store I got him from said that he feeds his eels flake foods and shimp pellets. I have never seen him eat flake food or the shimp pellets. The shrimp pellets break down in the water rather quickly so I don't know how my eel would even be able to get to it. In doing research I've read that they eat ghost shrimp, so I'm testing them out. Anybody have success with these eels and what have you fed them?

dethjam316

AC Members
Apr 6, 2003
south of nowhere, north of nothing
Originally posted by Lazersniper
Secondly I have a peacock eel. I have some ghost shrimp on order but are they pretty much treated the same as the feeder fish? Is this a good source of food for my eel? The guy/store I got him from said that he feeds his eels flake foods and shimp pellets. I have never seen him eat flake food or the shimp pellets. The shrimp pellets break down in the water rather quickly so I don't know how my eel would even be able to get to it. In doing research I've read that they eat ghost shrimp, so I'm testing them out. Anybody have success with these eels and what have you fed them?
i've had tiretrack and zigzag eels (closely related to your peacock) for years, and i have NEVER had mine eat any kind of dry food. one of them will take certain frozen foods (brine shrimp, mostly), the other will ONLY eat live food. i have fed them ghost shrimp, but their typical diet is live blackworms and live brine shrimp. how large is your eel? this may be an important factor. try several things: frozen foods and live. the only thing i can almost certainly guarantee he'll eat is blackworms, IME.

don't know anything about your first set of questions....hope this helps with the second.:)

Lazersniper

AC Members
Mar 9, 2004
WI
Visit site
My eel is about 5-6 inches.

With the brine shrimp, wouldn't other fish eat them before the eel gets to them? I'm just wondering because brine shrimp are so small. I'll have to try out black worms. Thanks for the info.

What are the dangers if any in feeding black worms or brine shrimp? Obviously this is my first time owning carniverouse fish. So please excuse my absence of knowlegde. As well how often, how much do you feed the eels?

dethjam316

AC Members
Apr 6, 2003
i have never had anything nasty introduced into a tank from feeding live brine shrimp or blackworms. there is always a risk feeding live foods, i'm sure...of introducing diseases or parasites. but if it's an LFS i consistently buy from without problems, i rely on that trust, because i certainly can't culture blackworms in my apartment! BUT for these eels, it's a necessity, really, because they just won't touch flake or pellet food IME.

i use a medicine dropper. picked it up at your average chain drugstore in the section for babies...that's what it's intended for, meds for babies. i just suck the worms up from a tupperware thing (open-topped, so they don't suffocate) in my fridge and release them right in front of the eel. mine have learned to swim up as soon as they see the dropper, and they often suck the blackworms right out of it.

how often to feed? i feed mine daily when i have the worms (or other live foods) on hand. sometimes they go a few days without any if the LFS is out of stock or i don't have time to get more, but this isn't really a problem, as fasting for a couple days is often good for fish.

Lazersniper

AC Members
Mar 9, 2004
WI
Visit site
I"ll have to try that. Thanks a lot for the feedback. So you can just keep them (black worms/brine shrimp) in the frigde? The coldness won't kill them? How many times a day do you feed... once twice?

dethjam316

AC Members
Apr 6, 2003
i feed the blackworms to fish/eels once a day max.

don't keep brine shrimp in the fridge. they need to be kept above 70 degrees, really. i buy them in small portions, because of this, and keep them in a small bucket. if i aerated it, they'd probably last longer, but, i buy them in $1 increments.

as for the blackworms, keeping them in the fridge slows down their metabolism, so they keep a bit longer. if you do a google search, you can probably find out more info than this, but i've never had a problem just keeping them in the fridge in a shallow pool of water.

Lazersniper

AC Members
Mar 9, 2004
WI
Visit site
Are black worms the same as blood worms or do they just look the same? I bought some today and I think the guy must have thought I said blood worms cuz these look exactly like blood worms. Well the eel took a mouth full but hasn't touched any of the rest of them... I just hope that it was because he wasn't hungry or somthing. The rest of them have burrowed into my gravel. Will this cause a problem? Will they all die, or will they thrive there? I do regular vaccuming but I just want to know what to expect. Thanks

cpn_aaron

recovering fishaholic
Mar 3, 2004
Melbourne, FL
Visit site
I have a 55 gal that has undergone several differing fish due to deaths or moving individuals to different tanks. Due to this I used to feed my bricher live blood worms when he was small and the tank got quite a dose of worms in my gravel. It's been over a year since I bought the worms and I'm still finding plenty of them in my gravel when I vacuum. So my guess is that they thrive in the gravel.
I own a 5 inch tire track, well he was 5 inches 2 months ago. The guy is close to 7 by now. I fed him brine and live ghost shrimp with little problem but I found he will eat frozen prawns the kind sold at the LFS as marine fish food. They're the right size and he pigs out. He wasn't interested at first but I just kept them by his brick reef and he eventually accepted them after a week of no live ghost shrimp appearing. Now he hand feeds and greets me at the tank. the best method I've found with all my fish is a little starvation and persistence.
As for the gar, good luck. I've owned many barracuda and other needlefish. These guys are visual active predators. They like the movement of the prey. You may like to try a length of wire through some frozen fish and jiggle it to attrct their attention. That's a popular method on a larger scale to get great baracudda to eat when introduced in the aqauariums at zoos.

dethjam316

AC Members
Apr 6, 2003
Originally posted by Lazersniper
Are black worms the same as blood worms or do they just look the same? I bought some today and I think the guy must have thought I said blood worms cuz these look exactly like blood worms. Well the eel took a mouth full but hasn't touched any of the rest of them... I just hope that it was because he wasn't hungry or somthing. The rest of them have burrowed into my gravel. Will this cause a problem? Will they all die, or will they thrive there? I do regular vaccuming but I just want to know what to expect. Thanks
blackworms and bloodworms are different critters. i believe bloodworms are mosquito larvae, but i could be wrong about that. i'd imagine the eel would eat them if they were wriggling in his face. i've never tried live bloodworms (haven't seen them for sale, in fact), but mine won't touch frozen bloodworms.

Lazersniper

AC Members
Mar 9, 2004
WI
Visit site
well.. the worms were right in front of his face lol.. After one bite he stopped.

Cpn- Thanks for the info.. I'm picking up the ghost shrimp tomorrow I hope he eats these readily. As for the barracuda, I don't plan on keeping him on the live foods. Due to seeing all the posts about feeders I was just wondering if the illness and lack of nutrition only pretained to store bought feeders or all feeders. And if there was a way to make my guppies more nutritiouse how.

What was your exp. with the barracudas and needle fish? What did you feed them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store