NITRATE QUESTION

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
On Saturday I did a wc on my betta's 3 gallon Eclipse tank. I checked water parameters nitrate level is 20 is that ok I did do a real good gravel vac. I do wc's weekly and rinse the filter every 4 weeks was just curious is that nitrate level too high? It's not a planted tank ammonia level was 0.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Probably ok. I've had levels hover around 40 ppm in community tanks...

Nitrate toxicity levels are not well defined for most aquarium fish species. Generally what you hear is to try to keep them as low as possible, just to be safe.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
20 ppm nitrate is not toxic to fish, but in the case of a 3 gallon tank with a single betta, i would think this nitrate level is coming from the substrate not being cleaned often enough. sludge trapped anywhere in a tank will continue to break down and the end result is nitrate. changing the water removes the nitrate, but if you don't gravel vac, that sludge is still there to create more nitrate than you want. you said you did a good gravel vac this time, but have you skipped vacc'ing before?

when you rinse your filter, how do you do it?

cradlefan

AC Members
Jul 24, 2008
Real Name
Kris
you may have nitrates already in the tap water, I would suggest measuring nitrates straight out of the tap. I would also make sure your not overfeeding. I feed my single betta only once every couple two to three days.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
THANKS everyone....yes I do a good gravel vac everytime I change the water and that is weekly. I dechlorinate the water each time but will check the nitrate level in a test tube this week. I will make sure I do a very good gravel this week and test again and watch the amount of food I am giving all comments are appreciated. :)

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
also check any decor in the tank for built up mulm and sludge. i know the log ornament i have in my 55 gallon collects so much gunk inside of it, it isn't even funny!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Have you ever checked your tapwater for nitrates?

RackinRocky

Registered Member
Apr 28, 2012
Beautiful S. California high desert
Real Name
Randi
Do check your tap water for nitrates. Some people have high nitrates in their tap water, so in that situation, it would be difficult to get your nitrate to be lower in your tank. So in that case, you are more or less stuck with a certain level of nitrates.

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
Maybe you are just not changing out enought water. I test my water and depening on how high my nitrates are, that is how much water I change. My goal is to have 0-5 nitrates after every wc. If they are very high, I do an 80% water change and so on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store