Noob needs help?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

moreno50

AC Members
Feb 21, 2012
Hello everybody im new to the fourm and also new to the saltwater tank . But my question is this i have a 50 gal tank i wanted to do a Diy pvc overflow but unsure what size to go with to get good gph . Is 3/4 pvc good or should j go bigger please help if you have pictures of uses i would love to see them thanks.:confused:

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Depends on your return pump. Looks up the flow rates of PVC. Then figure out the expected rate of your return pump (don't forget to take into account the height from sump to display). You always want your drain to exceed the capacity of your pump.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
The bigger the better when it comes to drains. 1" should be fine but would avoid anything smaller. If you can incorporate 2 drains, even better. Any reason why you're not using an overflow box?

moreno50

AC Members
Feb 21, 2012
Im.not going with a overflow box because moneys a little tight right now. Me and my wife just bought a house and she just gave birth to my baby boy so im trying to to as much diy stuff as possible .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Understood. I would go with a 1" on that site tank, buy a little larger pump that you think you'll need and put a ball valve in the return line (after the pump's output) to dial in the flow rate. To reduce noice in the drain I would set the flow rate of the return as low as you can and use powerheads to provide the majority of flow in the display.

Is this tank drilled or will the PVC go up and over?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store