new to parrot fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

parrotcraze

AC Members
Feb 18, 2012
I have a sixty gallon aquarium which is about four foot long and two foot wide. it houses one upside down catfish at three inches and three two inch parrot fish that I purchased a few days ago. I keep my water at 80f, ph 7.0 and ammonia and nitrates at zero. im feeding the fish a mixture of hikari pellets and bloodworms twice a day.

I posted a topic in the coldwater forums a few days ago about some mature goldfish I rescued a few days ago, ive found homes for all but one fancy at four inches and im out of tankspace. I gave away my last ten gallon when I rehomed one of the other goldfish which now means I have this fancy in my tropical sixty gallon. im aware of the ammonia goldfish produce and my temp is not ideal for a coldwater fish but im now out of options. the goldfish seems happy, I just placed him in the sixty gallon today but hes feeding and odly schooling with the parrot fish.

obviously this setup isnt going to work, should I be worried about my ammonia levels even with the addition of one goldfish? I can go out and buy a ten gallon tomorrow but thats all I have room for an di hate putting this fish in a tank so small. im aware im breaking a big rule mixing tropicals with a goldfish but what should I do? I want the best for my fish and im open to any suggestions. could this work with daily water changes? I already do daily ten percent.

and with the exception of my goldfish how am I doing with the parrot fish?

Last edited:

parrotcraze

AC Members
Feb 18, 2012
it was hard to get a pic of these guys, their pretty fast. opinions?

Sent from my HUAWEI-M835 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1330068289805.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1330068335158.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1330068356473.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1330068369543.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I wouldn't think you would need to do daily water changes...monitor the tank and let the findings dictate the size and frequency.

parrotcraze

AC Members
Feb 18, 2012
so far the levels are still at zero, im just worried about keeping the goldfish in 80f. ive dropped it to 78f, but dont the parrots need 80f plus to thrive?

Bgolfer88

AC Members
Feb 17, 2010
Virginia
I assume you meant you keep NH3 and NO2 at zero, not NO3? If you aren't testing for nitrite do that, esp instead of nitrate. I'm assuming those are fake plants and even if real wouldn't be enough (i wouldn't think) to keep NO3 at 0. If nitrate is 0 that would send up a red flag. And your situation really depends on how many, what size ESTABLISHED filters you got going.

78F is fine for parrott fish, don't overworry yourself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store