How To Handle This....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
So, I've been doing water changes with buckets for a while now since my tank is three rooms over from the sink. However, as the weather warms up, I'm thinking about using the hose. Unfortunately, the hose only has cold water, but the tank is tropical. How would I approach this, hauling 40 gallons of water by bucket (8-10 trips in both directions) or using the hose? And how do I go about heating the water from the hose? Does it even matter if the water is cold (I would assume so, but what do I know)?

Bushkill

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2011
Bushkill, PA
Real Name
Angelo
When I do water changes of any size, the first thing I do is let the water get to room temperature. There's no sense in paying for the electricity to get the water in a bucket from 45 to 75 when it will get to 65+ all on its own in a little over 24 hours.

The only real option you have is to have a container of some sort (used tank, plastic barrel, etc.) near the tank where you can store the water for a couple of days in advance of your water change and stick a heater and small powerhead in there about 5 or 6 hours before you actually do the WC. Not knowing how or where the tank itself is situated, you may be able run a length of hose to the sink to get rid of the waste water. One of the smaller magdrive pumps(5) should work. Just remember you have to deal with the water that's in the hose when you shut off the pump. It's more water than you may think.

If the tank is near a window, and depending on where the window is situated, you may be able to run a hose out the window to get rid of the waste water.

Obviously takes some equipment/hardware, but achievable. Just some ideas.

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
This is the one issue that makes me hesitant to get anything larger than my 46. For my tanks I use buckets for water changes. It's a lot of work, but the thought of a hose and cold water is also a lot of work and just wouldn't work for me.

Bushkill

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2011
Bushkill, PA
Real Name
Angelo
This is the one issue that makes me hesitant to get anything larger than my 46. For my tanks I use buckets for water changes. It's a lot of work, but the thought of a hose and cold water is also a lot of work and just wouldn't work for me.
It sure is a big consideration for a lot of folks. We all have our different issues and priorities in this or any hobby really, so it needs to be tailored to suit us as individuals. For me, I'll never have a tank in a room with carpeting or wood floors. I know my limitations and spills/disasters have followed me with this hobby for decades. Yes, I know my limitations all too well, lol!

amyjod2

AC Members
Feb 14, 2008
I used to lug the buckets too...but now have gotten a aquavac with enought tubing to reach every tank in my house. In the past when I didn't have the aquavac with extention, I would siphon the water with a hose out the window right by the tank...then atleast I only had to bring the water to fill the tank.
Not sure how to warm the water from an outdoor hose.

Hope you find a solution because lugging all that water sure if tough on the back :)

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Well... I could hook up a hose to my utility sink, but it's three rooms over and IDK if I'll be able to find a hose long enough that fits on the util's faucet. Worth a shot though. If I can get a hose long enough to do that, then it should be able to reach the sub-pump too, thusly eliminating the need for windows or buckets :)

Now I just need to find a hose that long lol

The hose is outdoor, the sink is 3 rooms over, and all the windows are 6ft above the tank. It's in the basement.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
The 50' python is worth every single penny unless you have tiny fish or shrimp that might be sucked up. The only tanks where I have to do bucket changes anymore are the ones where I am terrified to accidentally have a fish go down the sink drain. They come in 75' too if 50 is too short. Makes water changes SO fast and easy! Love it!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have a 50 gal brute. It is on wheels.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store