Problem with Dosing KNO3

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

unseenone00

AC Members
Sep 30, 2011
Maryland
Real Name
Nick
I got my dry ferts in today, which I was REALLY looking forward to since my tank has 0 nitrates, 2.0 phosphate - causing a major BGA uproar the last few weeks. The EI method recommended 3/4 tsp about 3x a week of KNO3. When I had about 4oz of water (1cup) I added in and mixed the KNO3, then proceded to test the mixture. The test was about 20ppm..... That seems very low. 72 gallon tank heavily planted will not have enough nitrates with this dosage, even if I doubled it I think. I have actually gained 18 rummynose tetras and 7 angelfish, about 2inch diameter bodies... but that has not helped the nitrates, still 0. (other then those fish, i have 2 full grown bosemani rainbows, 2 large serpae tetra(cant catch to move them), 2 ottos, and 3x 1" cories. :1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp: ...Tomorrow I will bring home a 5gallon bucket of water from a big sump system at the LFS I work at that ocasionally reaches 60-80 nitrates before we water change it. However I need more ideas!

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
http://calc.petalphile.com/

1 1/4 tsp should give you about 20ppm no3 to start you off. following EI from there should keep you on track.

your test was off. kit might be bad.

3/4 tsp kno3 in a 1/2 cup (4 ounces) would give you 20219.69 ppm no3

3/4 tsp in a cup (8 ounces) would give you 10109.84 ppm no3

for a cup (8 ounces or half pint) use 0.0625 US gallons in the calculator linked above (16 cups to a gallon)

for a half cup (4 ounces) use 0.03125 US gallons in the calculator (32 half cups in a gallon)

unseenone00

AC Members
Sep 30, 2011
Maryland
Real Name
Nick
"your test was off. kit might be bad."these words of yours probably just saved me $150 worth of fish... i pulled out this really old dry tab test kit... the new API master test kit is what is reading 0-3ppm.... the dry tab is reading over 100............................................... water changes galor!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
How do I use these fertilizers and the Estimative Index?

Fertilizing via EI is simple. Every other day dose the prescribed macros elements, and on the off days add in the trace/micro elements. Perform a 50% waterchange at the end of the week. By following one of the commonly used dosing programs below for your specific tank size you can ensure your plants are getting what the need throughout the week.

10-20 Gallons
1/8 tsp KNO3 3x a week
1/32 tsp KH2PO4 3x a week
1/32 tsp K2SO4 3x a week
1/32 tsp (2ml) traces 3x a week

20-40 Gallons
1/4 tsp KNO3 3x a week
1/16 tsp KH2PO4 3x a week
1/16 tsp K2SO4 3x a week
1/16 tsp (5ml) traces 3x a week

40-60 Gallons
1/2 tsp KNO3 3x a week
1/8 tsp KH2PO4 3x a week
1/8 tsp K2SO4 3x a week
1/8 tsp (10 ml) traces 3x a week

60-80 Gallons
3/4 tsp KNO3 3x a week
3/16 tsp KH2PO4 3x a week
1/4 tsp K2SO4 3x a week
1/4 tsp (15ml) traces 3x a week

100-125 Gallons
1 1/2 tsp KNO3 3x a week
1/2 tsp KH2PO4 3x a week
1/2 tsp K2SO4 3x a week
1/2 tsp (30ml) traces 3x a week

Example of a dosing program for a 29 gallon tank.

Click here to view the original image of 774x138px.

*K2SO4 is not required for dosing unless you need the extra Potassium (K). This K is found in KN03 and KH2P04. Dosing these two according to above will yield sufficient K levels. Therefore, one will be fine dosing only KN03 and KH2P04, and Plantex. However, if one finds the need to supplement the K2SO4, there is no harm by dosing this chemical as part of your fertilization regime.

Where can I buy the fertilizers and chemicals?

AquariumFertilizers.com can provide you with the necessary chemicals for dry and liquid dosing of the above. For micro - trace elements, Plantex CSM+B, Seachem Flourish, and Tropica Plant Nutrition are equivalent to each other. For the Seachem and Tropica brands visit Drsfostersmith.com and Bigalsonline.com.

One pound bags of each of Aquarium Fertilizer Chemicals will last at least 1 year:

· (Trace) Plantex CSM+B
· (N) Potassium Nitrate KN03
· (P) Monopotassium Phosphate KH2P04
· (K) Potassium Sulphate K2S04 (optional)

Special Notes:

Providing optimal CO2 levels of at least 30 ppm are necessary for plants to prosper and out-compete algae. If algae issue arise, remove all visible algae and infected leaves. Recheck CO2 levels, and possibly reduce and adjust the lighting period.

Direct dry dosing into the tank is perfectly fine. Many dosing straight into the tank, or they dissolve each chemical in water before adding.

Making a Liquid Stock of Plantex CSM+B is more often mixed into a bulk liquid solution since some find it more convenient to dose their trace elements this way. The recipe for this solution is 1 tablespoon to 250ml water is equivalent to: 20 ml = 1/4 teaspoon of dry Plantex. This solution is stored in refrigerators to prevent mold from forming within the container. For making stock solutions for NPK use Chuck Gladd's Conversion Calculator.

Small dosing teaspoons (smidgen, dash, pinch) can be found at Linen & Things, Bed Bath and Beyond, Wal-Mart, dollar stores, eBay and other online retailers. To identify the specific measurements of your smidgen, dash, pinch set, a 1/8 tsp should fill a ¼ tsp in 2 tries, 1/16 tsp in 4 tries, and a 1/32 tsp in 8 tries.

You will see results right after the first week of dosing. Your plants will grow faster and your plants will look healthier. Keep with the dosing program, and you'll see your planted aquarium become a nice looking showpiece for your home.

-John N.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forum...o2-Fertilization-Algae-and-more-updated-10-10

Hope it helps.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
"your test was off. kit might be bad."these words of yours probably just saved me $150 worth of fish... i pulled out this really old dry tab test kit... the new API master test kit is what is reading 0-3ppm.... the dry tab is reading over 100............................................... water changes galor!
You do VIGOROUSLY shake bottle # 2 of the API Nitrate kit before using right? It contains powdered zinc that must be in suspension to give a reading. Failing to shake gives a "0" every time.

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
You do VIGOROUSLY shake bottle # 2 of the API Nitrate kit before using right? It contains powdered zinc that must be in suspension to give a reading. Failing to shake gives a "0" every time.
Yep!! this right here. If you actually have been mixing and dosing Kno3 as well as testing a solution you should show plenty. If you miss a step or dont do the Nitrate test right when using an API kit it will show incorrectly. If your API kit is new, I doubt its got an issue.

unseenone00

AC Members
Sep 30, 2011
Maryland
Real Name
Nick
i also was doing 30%-40% water changes with a hose/sink siphon to lower nitrates. i did 4 rotations, then checked using dry tab again (the last tabs) and was at about 70ppm. So i did one final 50% water change. When filling the tank back in, i thought the temp was fine- but it wasnt. I noticed ALL 17 of my rummynoses motionless on the bottom. After boiling water bit by bit, 1 is permanently dead, 13 are swimming alive and schooling. and the final 3 are MIA somewhere in the plants... sigh...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store