Help I have ick

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jared185

AC Members
Jan 24, 2012
Hello I have a reef tank that has gotten ick in it how do I treat them can I use copper with corals help me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tsdpurdue

tsdpurdue
Feb 25, 2007
Indiana
I would not use copper with corals.... How many corals do you have?? would it be possible to remove the corals and place them in a separate tank while you treat the display tank

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
No copper in a reef tank (even if you pull the corals). You can't treat liverock with copper and expect to use that rock in a reef tank any time soon. You really have 2 choices. Setup a hospital tank and remove the fish from the display. Treat/observe the fish for 6-8 weeks and leave the display tank fallow for that time to allow the parasite to run through it's life cycle OR feed the tank very well with garlic (not grocery store garlic) and vitamin (something like Selcon) foods and hope the fish can fight it off. What kind of fish and what size tank?

jared185

AC Members
Jan 24, 2012
I have zoanthids Xenia colt coral plate coral mushrooms Kenya tree and I can't take them out of my tank BC I have no other tank for them they are all attached to large pieces of live rock

jared185

AC Members
Jan 24, 2012
I have a 55 gallon with a yellow tang I have a percula clown leopard wrasse cinnamon clown pink skunk clown regal tang green chromis domino damsel lizard blenny several crabs 2 anemones snails

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
ow. Jared speaking even as a rank beginner in SW can I say that sounds like a rather heavy bioload? Is it possible that keeping that many fish in a 55 (particularly the tang swhich I thought needed an 80 or so just for themselves might be what contributed to an ich outbreak?

Sounds like your best bet would be to follow Greech's advice (always a wise decision in any event. :) ) and then maybe think about rehoming the tangs and maybe 1 or 2 other fish to reduce the crowding. Less stress will certainly help the fish recover on their own in addition to the fortification in the foods he recommends.

jared185

AC Members
Jan 24, 2012
Well the tangs I have are extremely small and I have a 180 gallon to but I have some mean fish in it so I was going to get the tang to grow a lil and put him in there all the fish I have in the 55 are small extremely small and I have a lot of live rock and hiding places and I have a 25 gallon wet dry trickle filter protein Skimmer so I don't think its bioload they were fine till I added macro algea to my tank and the nest morning had white spots

jared185

AC Members
Jan 24, 2012
I mean I added macro algea to the refugium

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
That is big bioload on that size tank. Any recent ammonia, trite and trate tests?

I understand you have a 180 to eventually move them to but tangs (the hippo especially) can stress easy in a small/crowded tank. Are all the fish showing the parasite?

Any pics of the tank/fish? What kind of nems?

jared185

AC Members
Jan 24, 2012
OK here's an update I got home from work and started mixing their food with garlic only 3 fish has shown the parasite now the fish are clear of the parasite it was showing on them about 8 hours or less in total now theirs no sign

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store