Growing VFT's from seed???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Anyone got any advice on how to grow these from seed? These have always grabbed my interest and would like to try to grow them from seed. I got a 5 and 10 gallon aquarium to utilize also got spare 4" pots. Keep in mind I have tried to own CP's twice and both times I failed. This will prob be my last attempt so want to try and do it right. Wanting to try to do different varieties of VFT's. If this goes good then I'll try pitchers or sundews next. Cobra Plant has always caught my eye too.

KillerVirusB

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
NYC
No advice, but good luck. I used to keep VFTs and I would propagate them by cuttings from the rhizome. I never kept them longer then a few seasons when I used seeds.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Keep them moist, warm, humid and well lit. =) Remember to use only distilled water. Substrate can be the same as for an adult vft. I've got some growing that I sowed back in the fall. They're tiny little things, but they're doing well. It can take a while, so be patient.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Im use to having to wait for plants to germinate. I got many succulents and have grown a few from seed and they are slower germinaters and growers. What kinds of substrate are suitable? Also why do the seeds need light?

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Im use to having to wait for plants to germinate. I got many succulents and have grown a few from seed and they are slower germinaters and growers. What kinds of substrate are suitable? Also why do the seeds need light?
Substrate IME should be a peat base that's fairly well draining: 50/50 peat/perlite (or aps).

Never really thought about the light thing. Just describing the environment that worked for me. It's my first experiment with germindation.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
IMO if you haven't had success then I'd try getting adult plants rather than starting from seed...shouldn't be hard as VFTs are probably the most common CP in this area of the world.

Some seeds need light to germinate although I'm not sure if VFTs are one of them.

I'd read this:

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/howto/GrowingGuides/Dionaea.php

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
How do you intend to provide for the cold rest period?? They require temps below 45 for at least 6 weeks every year.
If you live in a warm climate you best bet is to germinate the seeds in a clay pot grow until they slow down then put the pot in a plastic bag and store in the fridge for the appropriate time. I live in s. florida so have a similar problem
Do some reading on CP's many types are temperates not good choices for terrariums gary

SHWAGert

RAGE QUIT!
Feb 11, 2011
NC
Real Name
Daniel
jpappy is correct. You should always start with an adult first, to learn the proper care for a carnivorous plant. From seeds, a VFT will take around 1.5-2 years to grow in nicely. With an adult plants you can see if what you are doing is working or not, whereas with seeds you do not know if they did not sprout, or if you killed them from improper care. Also along these lines, a cobra lily is one of the harder pitchers to grow.

Most CP's (VFT included) require a nutrient poor medium. The standard mix is a 1:1 ratio of peat moss and perlite/silica sand (the perlite has a tendency to float to the top, while the sand will not). Contrary to popular belief, VFT's do not require high humidity. One of the more common VFT is native to the Wilmington, NC area (on the coast). The venus flytrap kits you may find in stores are often referred to as death cubes by a lot of growers because the high humidity will actually kill the plant in the long run.

Another point to mention is that VFT's require a winter cycle. In nature the plants die back to the roots durring fall and winter to store energy to grow back from the roots every spring. If this condition is not met, your plants will not live more than a few years.

Long story short, get a plastic pot (unglazed ceramic pots will leech minerals into the medium over time and I'm still hesitant on glazed pots) about 6" deep or so will last a long while. Make sure to get an unfertilized peat moss, and mix it equally with either perlite or silica sand. Start with the a rhizome of a common flytrap/pitcher first until you feel comfortable with their needs. Once you have those mastered, then move onto the more decorative CP's. And one final note, you should not ever have to feed your CP. It is unnecessary, and if done too often can harm the plant. VFT's and pitcher plants don't have the ability to decide not to digest food (bugs), and getting extra nutrients can actually harm the plant in a similar fashion as using the wrong medium.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
I was actually considering on getting sub-adult plants and seeds. I've seen a few varieties of VFT's that aren't available from what I seen here in the states and I only seen them as seeds. Now I know not to get one of those death cubes as you called it. My lil bro has one and the pitcher plant in there is doing good. The VFT hasn't come out of dormancy yet.

I had been told about them needing a cooling stage from my understanding its from Halloween to Valentines? I think thats when its suppose to be. Also I was also told bout putting them in a bag while placing them in the fridge during that period to prevent them from drying out. I don't got to worry bout having a secure spot in the fridge either considering I got my own mini fridge in my room.

Oh and all my pots are plastic. Succulents are said to do better in clay but clay tend to make it way harder to transplant the over grown plants into bigger pots also there way more pricey then plastic pots. I also know about the nature of perlite. I had to deal with that when I bought dried out potting soil. All the perlite ended up on the surface which was rather annoying. I'll look up that one site.

What makes Cobra's harder to care for? There native to my state so I thought it would be cool to own. That attempt won't be for at least another year.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store