upgrading my 10 gallon betta tank to a 20 gallon, suitable tankmates?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
I'll soon be upgrading my 10 gallon betta tank to a 20 gallon long tank. He's perfectly fine in his 10 gallon tank but I am going to do something different with the 10 gallon tank. What would be some suitable tankmates for him?

I've googled this and have found that shrimp, snails, ADF's, and white cloud minnows would be fine, but am looking for some other suggestions if any. I've always wanted dwarf rasboras (like chilis), but wasn't sure. Thank you very much.

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
thanks, I've also read that they may attack fish that are similarly colored or brightly colored. I remember my betta flaring at the more colorful snails in his tank and not the dull colored trumpet snails. very interesting...

Windy

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Theed Palace on Naboo
Real Name
Lazaro
You can keep plties with bettas if you like them. I have Black Neon Tetras with my Female Betta in a 20 high. Cories can also be kept, Harlequin Rasboras just to name a few.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
I've successfully kept darios, badis, danios, corys and cardinal tetras with my betas and they've done fine. I'd watch out for other Labyrinth fish, cichlids, and pretty much anything bright and brainy.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
I dont think white clouds would be a good idea with a betta. Their temperature needs are pretty far apart. There are lots of tropical fish that would work well enough.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
snails and shrimp can be hit or miss depending on the betta's personality, bright colored shrimp are more likely to be attacked as well, I've got a betta that killed a bunch of cherry shrimp in a couple hours but ignores ghosts and amano's.

Bright colors and flowing fins should be avoided but a mild mannered betta might do ok, I have another betta in a community tank with a few bright colored fancy guppies, some flaring and chasing the first day but then the aggression ended.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store