Apistogramma Pandurini/Panduro

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Snagged a pair of these today. Sounds like the females are actually the one's with more color? Guy at the lfs got me a male and female. The female I picked out, was the most colorful fish in the tank. Brightly colored yellow. Anyone have experience with these fish, can share info/pictures etc?

They're sitting comfortably in my Q tank for now for the next few weeks. They're small at the moment, maybe an inch or two, hoping they really color up though. I went with these over the Apistogramma bitaeniata, Apistogramma iniridae, and the Apistogramma viejita... they seemed the best looking in the shop. Hope I didn't make a mistake. He also had some sweet looking wild Dwarf Pike Cichlids that I passed up as well... I couldn't find enough info on them before visiting the shop. But wow were they sleek looking.

Thoughts?

daphilster08

AC Members
Sep 8, 2009
St. Paul/Duluth(college) Minnesota
Cool pick up! Owned these once! Never bred them but bred my other apistos and kribs. I had a 20 gallon set for them with a couple coconut caves, a few java fern and the whole bottom littered with oak leaves.. They love that! Once the babies hatch you can watch them traveling through the leaves and taking little bites!

As for the dwarf pikes, I had those as well.. Probably one of my most interesting fish I ever had! If you have a chance to get a pair, set up a 20 gallon and breed these guys. And then sell them to me! :D

Good luck!

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I had a pair of these for awhile and had a few spawns. The female is brightly colored when she is ready to spawn. Otherwise the male is is the most colorful. They are incredible parent raisers! It was an absolute treat to watch these guys! I will tell you that they are great parents of each spawn, but once they go to spawn again, they will eat the current batch of fry. So, if you want to raise the spawn, removing them from parents or removing the parents from the spawn (which is preferrable) would be best. I never did anything to my water...had a coconut hut, a piece of driftwood with java moss and a crypt in the tank. If you notice the female holed up in the cave for a day or two...chances are she spawned. I never noticed any thing that would tip me off...just she all of a sudden wouldn't come out of the cave.

These fish are a real treat!! I would be interested in buying fry from you as well. I am not that far away either...CT! Keep us up to date. How big are they? My male was about 2 inches when I got him....but it took about anoher 12 months and an inch of growth before anything happened.

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Thanks guys. They are very small now. They look like juveniles. They look to be about an inch and a half or so, maybe 2 inches tops. If I get them to spawn I'll certainly let you know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store