When will TANNIS go away?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iJohno

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
So I gave up boiling my driftwood multiple times to get rid of the tannis, so I am going to just have the tannis leech into the water. After awhile it's actually pretty cool to have.

Anyways, how long before the tannis fully leeches out and the water comes clear on its own? The driftwood is not big, its probably like 6in by 6inch and 5 inch high in my 10g.

Boiled it 6 times for a good 30 mins each, and soaked it 5 times over night.

Still the tannis is pretty dark.

iJohno

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
BTW: is it possible to make a filter cartridge with purigen for [h=2]Aqueon Quietflow Aquarium Power Filter 10?[/h]

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
Tannins are gone when they no longer leech out of the wood. How long that will take depends on an assortment of variables, including the size of the wood, the type of wood, whether it was purchased from an LFS (sometimes pre-treated/leeched) or found in nature, etc. There isn't really a simple answer to how long it will take to stop leeching.

In a 10g tank, you're going to notice the tannins a lot more than you would in a larger tank. In my 60g, I generally boiled every piece of driftwood in the tank for roughly about the same amount of time that you did, replacing the tannin soaked water with fresh dechlorinated water with each boil (not just topping it off). I never noticed any discoloration whatsoever to the water when the wood was added to the tank. But in addition to a larger tank, all the wood was either purchased from LFS, or from other hobbyists.

Auburn.Tigers

AC Members
Feb 13, 2012
It really depends on the wood itself. I've had some stop leaching within a few days, others continued for weeks. As a general rule, I'd say most wood will have leached the majority of its tannis within 10 days. If you add activated carbon to your filter it will help clear the water.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
For the filter, you can cut open the charcoal filter, and replace the charcoal with Purigen. Charcoal generally isn't needed in a tank anyway unless you're trying to get rid of excess medications or bad smells. Alternatively, you can also purchase empty floss filter pouches with open tops made for adding your own filter media at many LFS, but you'd still need to use it to replace the charcoal filter as there's simply not enough space to add "extra" parts to that filter.

iJohno

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
Thanks, and yeah Tannis is a thing that will go away for a long time. Shucks.

And the Filter, Im going to try cutting and replace and see how it turns out

Sunn

AC Members
Dec 22, 2011
If the color in teh water bothers you get some activated carbon in your filter. I have 3 pieces of wood in my 20g, one was from a LFS, one i just found out behind my house, and the other was from somewhere in the bahamas, my parents brought it back because they knew i was looking for nice pieces of wood.

Two of them were too big to boil so i just soaked them in hot water for awhile and thoroughly scrubbed them and whatnot, and put them in the tank. My filter has activated carbon in it and i've never noticed any change in my water color, which is actually kind of a shame since i like the blackwater effect.

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
wood actually never STOPS leeching tannins, it just decreases to a level that you don't really notice anymore. I have some oak root wood in my 40g for about a year and I still notice that the water is a teensy bit yellow before water changes.

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Some of the manzanita that I harvested took months before it stopped really staining the water. Even between water changes after having the wood in my tanks for close to two years now you can notice a slight tint.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I have a nice chunk of mopani that after soaking for 2 weeks and boiling still leeched out noticeably for a good 3 months, at 5 months now its still leeching but don't really notice it in the water but can see it in the filter media.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store