3 gallon bow-front tank for a.....?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ddmiddle7

AC Members
Sep 30, 2010
Indiana
Hello there, I haven't been on here in ages....

I have a 3 gallon bow-front tank that is now in the process of cycling and would like some help deciding what to put in it...I know that I can't do much but would this work for a Betta or a pair of dwarf guoramis? We had a fancy guppy in it for a long time until he recently passed away. Since then the tank has been cleaned and set back up for a new resident. This tank will be in my son's room. I don't particularly care for Bettas but, I understand a 3 gallon tank can't handle the bio load for much else.

What do you all think I should stock it with? All suggestions and advice taken seriously.....

Thank you in advance!!!

nahrie

AC Members
Feb 16, 2009
Canby, OR
Real Name
Julie
Things that can work well in a 3 gallon (these are all intended as single concepts, not to be mixed):

1 dwarf gourami
1 betta
3 or 4 dwarf rasboras
3 or 4 sparkling gourami

You could add 1 or 2 small shrimp such as amano or ghost to this setup in addition to the fish also. Keep in mind whatever you pick to put in your tank, it NEEDS very frequent water changes (2 or 3 times a week is ideal) and monitoring of the water parameters. Small tanks leave no room for error when it comes to things like ammonia, nitrites, etc. Live plants will help. :)

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
3g is too small IMO for any dwarf rasboras or 3-4 sparkling gouramis. First of all, most rasboras are schoolers and should be maintained in numbers higher than 6. Secondsly, 3 gallons is much too little swimming space for fish like that. Sparkling gouramis can get over 1.5 inches, I would put a maximum of 2 in a tank that small.

cradlefan

AC Members
Jul 24, 2008
Real Name
Kris
I have the same setup and I second the betta(I love betta's), you can find some really nice betta's. I bought a nice deep blue half moon betta for 20 bucks, you can look at my siggy for pictures when I first set it up. I wouldn't do any schooling fish in there.....What about doing a crystal red shrimp tank or a red cherry shrimp (or some other shrimp) tank? Plus, if they start to breed in there (grow some java moss too) you can sell them back to the LFS for store credit on some goodies :)

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
shrimp!! some nice cherry shrimp and some plants make a lovely tank. you can do about 7-10 shrimp per gallon my 2 year old niece loves watching the tiger shrimp tank i set up at my mother's daycare.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store