Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Kelley Taylor
    Last Activity
    Today 10:46 AM

angels spawning !! Its my first

I was so excited today to find this going on !! now how long do I leave them in with parents? thanks
    2-29's, 2-75's , flat back hex, 20 high, 2- 10's
    Lots of snails,shrimp,livebearers,angels, and a few other fish. INVERT ADDICTED
    My websites
    www.myspace.com/bigredandthesoulbenders
    www.bigredandthesoulbenders.com

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Vanessa
    Last Activity
    Today 8:19 AM
    Congrats! I've never had angels but I've heard of people letting the parents raise them and some take them out right away.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    Today 12:29 PM
    Congrats!! It is a lot of fun to watch!! My first batch he parents raised them and I ended up with around 50 that go to be a good pea size before we lost power for 10 days in October and they all died The pair keeps spawning and they go free swimming but then die off. I have been feeding baby brine shrimp frozen. But I think I am going to have hatch live. You can leave them in with parents for a couple of weeks after they go free swimming. After that it can get a little hairy for the parents and they may start snacking! I suggest waiting to see what happens! It is fun to wach them parent!

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Kelley Taylor
    Last Activity
    well no eggs left! Im bummed apparently they ate them or somone else ate them. I am thinking Ill move ma and pa to another tank were they can be alone.
    My websites

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    Today 12:29 PM
    Oh yeah....mine always got eaten in the community tank as well. If you can give them their own set-up....they will go to town!

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    07-11-2012 11:41 PM
    I never leave the eggs in with the parents. Too many other fishy in my tank eats on the eggs and I've even watched a blue mystery snail snack away at them one day. I always pull the eggs out and place them in a 10 g tank with much success.

I have never had luck with them without feeding live. As soon as they are free swimming and their yolk sac is absorbed I feed them hatched BBS. I just keep several batches going for their first week of eating or so, then I can switch them to frozen/thawed BBS and after about two weeks I add some very finely ground quality flake food to the BBS.
    mykidsmylife

The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.
    ~Stanislaw Jerszy Lec

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Kelley Taylor
    Last Activity
    my plan was to take them out today. Had no idea they would eat them overnight. ill know next time . thanks for the info on feeding I will do just that .
    My websites

Usergroup
    Awaiting Confirmation
    Real Name
    Angelo
    Last Activity
    02-04-2014 3:04 PM
    Just take the slate out of the tank after you notice the male has been fanning them for a bit. Then you can reasonably be assured he fertilized them. Put the slate in a very clean container with an airstone, and add Methylene Blue. The MB is a fungicide and will keep any bad or unfertilized eggs from fouling the whole spawn. I noticed you use long slates. Years ago I used tall glass canisters made for storing spaghetti. The glass was much easier to sterilize.
    Angels are hit-and-miss as parents and some pairs are beasts as guardians, some could care less, and some just need to work at it. The ones that do get it right shouldn't be given much more than 3-4 weeks with the fry as they'll most likely get the itch again, and will either lose focus, or will eat the fry.
    Careful not to add too much water movement especially once free-swimmers. Once the yolk sack is absorbed, just move them on to progressively bigger quarters. At about pea size comes the tough job of culling.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Kelley Taylor
    Last Activity
    I am totally heartbroke. I lost this aquarium in the fire that destroyed my restaurant two weeks ago. My poor fish and snails. I dont want to be downer I just needed to share this so maybe I can get over it. I had so many beautiful angels and snails along with a huge amount of plants I had been purchasing for it. I feel so bad for the animal that were in there.
    My websites

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    07-11-2012 11:41 PM
    I'm so sorry LadyBlues. I can't even imagine how painful this all is for you. You have my deepest sympathy on the loss of your fish friends as well as your business. So heartbreaking.
    mykidsmylife

The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.
    ~Stanislaw Jerszy Lec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information