Shrimp vs Pleco

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Korrigann

AC Members
Oct 31, 2011
Hey again, everyone. I haven't posted in a while, but I'm back again with another question or two!

This time it's about shrimp. I got some ghost shrimp to go in my little tank previously, and they eventually all died. I assumed it was from my betta, Whiskey (who sadly has passed... never let a friend watch your fish when you go on vacation!) who would pester the shrimp constantly.

I really enjoyed watching the ghost shrimp and was excited because a couple of them had eggs. So when I upgraded my tank to 10g, I got a few more ghost shrimp. This time, their tank mates include a couple corys, a few neon tetras, and another (more peaceful) betta. They seemed to be doing quite well together. Then a friend of mine dumped a bristlenose pleco on me, and I have yet to find a home for him. Now I'm noticing my ghost shrimp are starting to die off. They appear perfectly healthy the night before, and in the morning they're dead! This last time I found three dead at once! Now I only have two left! I've checked the water parameters, and all I've noticed was that the ph was a little high (which has since been corrected).

I really don't like this pleco, and I'm not sure if he has anything to do with my ghost shrimp dying off or if maybe it was due to a slightly high ph (about 7.4)? Or are there other things that could be causing it? Since I have live plants, I do use a plant fertilizer once a month or so and it does contain some copper, which I read is bad for shrimp. Now I'm afraid to get more of the ghost shrimp as I don't want to have to keep pulling their dead bodies out of my tank. Is there a hardier shrimp-y type thing that could survive in a small tank like this?

Thanks again for all your help!

pixl8r

MacroShrimpBreeder
May 11, 2007
Utah
I've never had any problems keeping a plecostomus with shrimp (I currently have a bristlenose in a shrimp tank). Also, you can't keep the pleco in a 10g tank for long.

Korrigann

AC Members
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, I'm trying to find him a home but I don't know anyone with a tank that can accommodate him and I definitely won't just flush him. Does anyone know if any pet stores will take fish? Maybe not buy them, but just take them?

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Yeah, I'm trying to find him a home but I don't know anyone with a tank that can accommodate him and I definitely won't just flush him. Does anyone know if any pet stores will take fish? Maybe not buy them, but just take them?
Many of your smaller LFS (read..non box stores) will take fish on a donation or trade basis. If you really want to re-home him I would suggest just offering to donate him. Bushy nose will be far easier to get rid of than a common. Just place a call or two and offer to donate and I'm sure you would have no problems.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
ph levels sound fine, I've kept pleco's with my shrimp and never had them kill them. Might just be bad ghost shrimp stock, they're usually sold to be feeders not kept, last time I bought some was around august got a dozen of them or so, 3 of them are still alive in my 29g, noone in there eats them they just died or suicided.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
The only real thing I can suggest is that the addition of a high waste fish like a pleco led to a rise in ammonia, nitrites and/or nitrates. Inverts are generally pretty sensitive to water quality. Do a large water change and make sure you continue to do large water changes regularly to keep the water condition good.

azolla

Invertafreak
Feb 26, 2010
Cape Cod, MA
I'm thinking, non-cycled tank. You said all parameters are fine. What exactly are the parameters? TDS, PH, Temp, Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. Also ghost shrimps are considered a food animal, and therefore do not get treated the same as the more pricey critters. They could have been half starved before you got them. Also, some ghost shrimps are collected from salt water habitats, could be a species that needs salt in its water!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store