My Cichlid tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gunn

AC Members
Feb 5, 2004
Kelowna, BC
members.cardomain.com
Just bought a 66g and have decided to go with Cichlids. Just interested in hearing opinions on how these fish will interact together and iyo, is my tank overstocked? All these cichlids are roughly the same size, and were all put in the tank at the same time. So far they are all living in harmony... no problems at all.

2 ruby clown cichlids
2 lemon yellow cichlids (I believe another term would be yellow labs)
1 convict
1 texas cichlid
1 electric blue johanni
1 green terror

they are all quite small, and like i said, relatively the same size. The convict being the smallest, while the texan being slightly larger than the rest.

Any suggestions on which fish may become problematic, which may be beaten on, and what, if anything, I should consider adding... would be appreciative.

It's my second tank, so I am still learning, but have done quite a bit of research to prepare for the fish.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Well, you have africans and new world cichlids together, which in the long run, won't work out well. The green terror and texas will get large enough to eat everything except maybe the convict.

Another question, did you cycle the tank?

Does your lemon look like this fish? N. leleupi
http://www.gpas.org/2002_show/all2002pics/Neolamprologus leleupi.jpg

or this fish? Yellow Lab
http://www3.sympatico.ca/alrostom/lab_yellow/elec_yellow1.jpg

I would return your texas, green terror, and convict or the africans and research to find the species you want to keep and those that are compatible.

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
Yup puma is right, your combo has gotta go! :p

I would personally keep the africans... (aka yellow labs and johanii) ......and return the convict, green terror, and texas.

or vice versa, if you want. If you keep the africans you can add some more of each species and even a few of another compatible mbuna.

If you keep the others then you probebly wont be able to add anything else.... but i have never kept those new worlds before so i cant be sure.

ps- what is a ruby clown cichild? an african?

;)
-Diana

Gunn

AC Members
Feb 5, 2004
Kelowna, BC
members.cardomain.com
I have another 90g tank that a friend is keeping for me out of town (no space to store), which I will eventually move the more aggressive larger fish (green terror, texas), but for a year or so atleast I don't forsee any problems.

One of my good friends owns one of the many local pet stores in town, and seems to think things should be fine, as he has had similar combo's in his in-store not for sale tanks, and things have worked out fine so far.

We'll see, though. Like I said, if I encounter any major problems, I atleast have the option of another tank.

TFo

AC Members
I've got a six inch Green Terror, six inch Red Devil, and 10+ inch Oscar in my 125. The GT is by far the dominant fish in the tank.

Your GT is going to grow pretty quickly, and your Texas could cause some problems as well.

Good luck.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
I'd second (or third) the idea that africans and new world cichlids are bad to keep together. I bet the number of people who have kept them together is pretty small compared to those who have had problems... if nothing else, the optimal water conditions for these fish are WAY different. I suppose you could make a case that the fish can live for a couple years in water with parameters that deviate from their native waters, but you won't convince many cichlid afficionados that such practice is good husbandry...

You asked for feedback...

Jim

Gunn

AC Members
Feb 5, 2004
Kelowna, BC
members.cardomain.com
Just a quick question... but how much food should I be feeding these guys on a daily basis? I've heard... feed them what they can eat in 30 seconds. But they're dumb right now... they're not quite going to the top to get the food... they're waiting for it to sink, so it's hard to judge the actual feeding time.

I'm using very small pelets (tetramain, i think it's called) food that a local dealer gave me to use, but I'm unsure of exactly how much I need to feed them.

Suggestions?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store