New Plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hecurcia

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
Hi guys, I am new to hobby and need some help to identify what came with my new plants. I just got java moss from an online retailer and as soon as i put it in a bucket of water, little things started to swim around. They look like baby shrimp. Is this normal? Or is it something else? Here is a pic: photo 1.jpgThanks a lot.

photo 1.jpg

Hecurcia

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
Yeah, they are in fact scuds. My friend told me they were shrimp but didn't look much like those. I'll clean the java carefully to avoid introducing these in my tank.
Thanks a lot for pointing out the scuds, I didn't know what a scud was until now.

cradlefan

AC Members
Jul 24, 2008
Real Name
Kris
I was going to say some kind of copepod or amphipod.......never heard of a scud, but even if it was, it would probably be fish food really quickly. I don't think it would hurt anything unless maybe it brought some kind of parasite in with it.

Hecurcia

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
Thanks for the reply cradlefan. I think scud is the same as amphipod ( I could be wrong) and I also thought that my fish would have enjoyed these tiny creatures but better be safe than sorry. Thanks again.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
scud it's the water version of the 'pill bug'

trout love em

unseenone00

AC Members
Sep 30, 2011
Maryland
Real Name
Nick
Star_Rider is right on, being a fly fisher i know trout love these little guys and that they are present in many fresh water streams,rivers,creeks,ponds, lakes etc... They won't harm your fish. And I would certainly say they will be eaten given the chance.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
sweet..unseenone is a fellow flyfisher:thm:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store