To split up or not to split up.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fifthofnovember

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Hi all. I used to breed angels but it's been 8-9 years since I last did it.

I was in search of platinums for the longest time and finally found these two from a guy in my aquarium society.

SDC11945.JPG

I got the female first, as I had an adult male white blusher I wanted to breed her to. Well, the white blusher was an older fish, and he passed away before I could spawn them. So it was just the female in the tank for about 2 months.

Wed night I got a male from him.

The two spent the last 2 days scrapping, as angels do and my female is a little roughed up. I know that's not weird either. And she's not all bloody and torn, it's just her mouth is a little abraded as is one eye. I've seen that sort of thing a million times before in angels and know it's normal.

Today, peace seems to have broken out to an extent. They're leaving each other alone except the male will occasionally "shove" the female. Problem is, she's acting all stressed today, which isn't surprising after 2 days of fighting. She's not surface breathing but she's hanging near the top and hasn't eaten.

I know angels are known for their hunger strikes (I had one refuse food for an entire month once, and then just all of a sudden go "Wow, I'm hungry!" and start eating again), but I'm wondering if should move her to my 20 gallon and let her chill out for a while, or if the move will just cause more stress, and then there will be more fighting when I re-introduce them, especially since it's calming down now and they seem to have more or less worked out whatever they needed to work out.

SDC11945.JPG

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What size tank and what else is in with them?

fifthofnovember

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
40 breeder, 2 ancistrus, and some larger random tetras (a few gold tetras, a few pristellas and a couple other random ones left over from now-defunct schools of other things).

fifthofnovember

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Eh. Moot point. It became clear that he's just not ready for a commitment and they need some time apart to think about their relationship.

She was just getting the snot beat out of her and chased all over. Thankfully she's not seriously hurt - an abraded mouth and a scratched eye, no torn fins or bodily injuries, but she's super uber stressed. Hoping she'll be OK. I just did a big water change with some extra Stress Coat and cleaned my filter (it needed it anyway).

She's in the 40 with the lights off and a towel draped over the front trying to calm down and he's cooling his heels in my 20.

Hopefully she recovers and they're just one of these pairs who needs a couple tries to work it out.

Last edited:

fifthofnovember

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Update: Super-mega-PTSD female is recovering nicely. I'm going to give her some time to get back on her "feet" and when she's completely recovered, I'll attempt a reintroduction.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store