New to bettas. Need some help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ryan75

AC Members
Feb 26, 2011
I am wondering all the names for bettas mean, such as: veiltail, halfmoon, crowntail, etc?

Veil Tail is the long flowing tail
Halfmoon is a slightly shorter tail that is 180 degrees when the fish is displaying
Over Halfmoon is a tail that has more than 180 degrees
Crown tail is similar to the Halfmoon but the ends are pointy and sometimes a little longer than the halfmoon but not as long as the veil.
Double Tails have two lobes for their tail
Plakats have very short tails. Like the wild type.

aussie pride

AC Members
Jun 21, 2010
They are the tail types. Veil tail are the most common which are usually what you see at big pet stores with a nice tail that angles downwards. Halfmoons are bettas that have a very large tail that angles a straight 180 degrees and usually dorsal and anal fins that continue that impressive finnage. Crowntail are bettas with 'spikey' fins. A quick google search on betta tail types would be very useful.

Ryan75

AC Members
Feb 26, 2011
Since I am going to start out breeding some Bettas. Which would you suggest I start out with? I have succesfully bred neolamprologous multifiasctus, which is simple. But trying something new.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
I've never bred bettas, but a friend of mine has bred them for over 20 years and he says crowntails are the hardest to breed. I would stay away from them. Breeding bettas can be pretty easy, but you also have to be careful. If they are not ready to breed, the females and males may fight to the death. Make sure you provide places for them to hide if they need to and allow them to get used to each other before you let them in a tank together. Generally, my friend puts the female in a glass container inside the tank so that the male cant get to her but they can see each other. He only lets the female free after the male has built a bubble nest. He's had much better results that way. Always make sure you're observing their behavior towards each other so you can separate them before one gets badly injured if need be.

Jiyafuku

AC Members
Jan 17, 2011
NW Pennsylvania
Real Name
Josh
Honestly, I would suggest you own a betta or two before you start breeding them. Figure out what traits you like and then buy stock that you think will produce the offspring you like, and most importantly, make sure you have the supplies and space for the offspring which could total into the hundreds, half of which will need to be separated and kept individually.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store