Really need help!!! d.a.s. aquarium w/ built in filter or overflow assembly??????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MalawiM@dness

AC Members
Mar 4, 2012
Purchased this yest on craigslist for $300.... 130 -135 Gallon d.a.s aquarium. I really like the aquarium except for the load of scratches on the inside of the glass :(... ima try some cerium oxide but thats a whole other topic lol...:OT:.... I have never seen an aquarium with an internal filter like this and cant figure out how it should be assembled and operated. I was really hoping this was an overflow box because i want to do a wet/dry with a refugium but i think its just a filter. Any info you can provide about this filter as far as how well they work or how to assemble it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. IMAG0043.jpgIMAG0044.jpgIMAG0042.jpgIMAG0047.jpgIMAG0045.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg IMAG0043.jpg IMAG0044.jpg IMAG0047.jpg IMAG0045.jpg

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
It is an overflow for a reef tank. A semi wet-dry. You can use if you doing Africans Cichlids. If no, it is not of much use.

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Have you tried asking the person you got it from?

Looks like the two green pumps go down into the overflow while the nozels hang over. I could be wrong though. I can't tell if they fit or not though or see the entire assembly. Have fun with your new tank and take your time setting it up just the way you want it!

MalawiM@dness

AC Members
Mar 4, 2012
Ok well what is a semi wet dry can you explain this? Yes i will be using it for african cichlid setup but why is it only helpful for that type of setup. I kinda figured the pumps go in there but im not sure about that foam spiral pad or exactly how the pumps circulate the water or really anything about this overflow. Can this be connected to an external wet/dry underneath the aquarium?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Hard to explain how to set it up, but my Hubby is good with that. It works better in hard alkaline water, because the BIO cycle in a wet/dry works better in that kind of environment. In a soft acid water, the BIO system is not as efficient.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
skimmers work better in hard water or marine tanks..but wet/dry filters work well in most tanks.
this looks to to having a sump but it is internally housed in the tank.. depending on the return rate vs the overflow rate..this can either be a wet/dry or run like an internal filter..picture it like a cannister with no lid housed in the tank ;)

MalawiM@dness

AC Members
Mar 4, 2012
ok star_rider thanks... So what does the spiral foam with the nets act as. Also the one circle shape white bags attached to the pump is water strained through them as some sort of mechanical filtration or?I guess im just going to ahve to hook it up as many diff ways as i can until it works properly. Im guessing it would best be used as an internal filter because the pumps dont seem like they have that high of gph rate.... I appreciate everyones help. Would I need some sort of bioballs or some other type of medium added to one of the chambers.

MalawiM@dness

AC Members
Mar 4, 2012
Im filling it up as we speak to try and figure this out... Its taking forever to fill up with this 29 gallon rubbermaid container... Hell of a workout lol... This is a big jump from a 55g...

MalawiM@dness

AC Members
Mar 4, 2012
well problem solved... i filled the tank up with water and the filter was empty i guess the pressure built up from not putting water in the filter built up and it dislodged it from the tank wall. I was sitting down hear a big pop looked over and the filter was floating disconnected from its silicone lol. So im just going to go with some canisters or something thanks guys.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store