Help! Oranda has lost her equilibrium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jenricae

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC Canada
Hi,
I have an Oranda that has lost her ability to stay upright and swim. She was healthy and great last night when i fed them, but was upside down and at the top when i awoke this morning. What can I do to help her?
Thanks!

jenricae

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC Canada
I should mention that she's in a healthy tank with lots of filtration and shares it with a couple of other Orandas. Both are doing great. She's doing slightly better - still having issues with balance though.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Orandas like others fancies were bred to a compacted body form that limits the amount of room available for their internal organs. That means they invariably have issues with digestion and it doesn't take much for their air sac to become displaced.

Most of the time when they tilt like that it's a common case of constipation. Make sure you are feeding them a diet lower in proteins and higher in veggies than is provided by most goldfish foods.

Offering blanched veggies regularly goes a long way to help with this... zucchini, leafy greens, squash, cucumbers, green beans, etc.

Next time this happens the first thing you need to do is fast the fish for 3 days, then offer peas. Regular canned (rinsed) or frozen (defrosted) peas will suffice. You just need to squeeze each one to pop each pea out of the skin first.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store