Emperor 400 & Aquaclear 70 Maintinace

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

monicatetra

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
I recently just set these two filters up on a 75 gallon (the tank is still cycling and has no inhabitants besides a few plants), and was wondering how often I need to clean them.

The Emperor 400 instructions say to clean the impeller, spray bar, and intake tube every month, and to replace the filter cartridge every 2-4 weeks. I was wondering how often I need to replace the carbon in the filter and if I should alternate replacing the two inserts or replace both at once?

The AquaClear instructions say every 3 months to clean the motor. It also says to clean out the case and intake tube but doesn't tell me how often to do it. I would like to know how often to clean out the case and how often I need to replace the filter media.

THANKS!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
The AC if you have to run the carbon should probably be replaced every 3-4 weeks, I never replace the media in mine I run sponges, purigen and biomax stuff. I clean the housing and tubing when it starts looking dirty.

The 400 takes 2 cart's? Alternating them is best, but since you have the AC as well as long as one of them has media thats a week or two old in it your ok.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I don't use carbon nor do I use the cartridges. I pack mine with poly fiber which seems to do a better job and is far less costly. I clean them out whenever the flow slows noticeably. Is simple to see when the spray bars need cleaning. The holes in it get plugged up. For the 400, I clean only one side at a time and alternate their cleanings. On the AC's I use double sponges, no carbon, regular amount of bio rings.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
- The filter compartments, intake tubes, and impeller assembly should be cleaned about once a month, or every 6 weeks.
Remove all the media temporarily, and siphon out all the crud from the filter compartments. Remove the intake tubes and clean them using a brush(es) you can purchase specifically to do this. The impeller motor & asssembly needs to be removed, taken apart & cleaned with paper towelling & rinsed well. Use toothpicks or a slim bamboo skewer(s) to get into the impeller shaft itself.
Media: ( Alternating the cleaning/discarding of each media component between wcs & the filters if you use more than one)
- Sponges should be rinsed in a bucket in water taken (siphoned out) from the tank about every 2 weeks or so. Same for bio-balls, or ceramic cylinder rings.
- Purigen should be removed and re-generated about every 3 weeks.
- Carbon filter cartridges should be well rinsed every 3 weeks or so, and replaced with new cartridges every 3 or 4 months.
- Filter floss should be discarded and replaced with new about every 2 weeks.
- Fine mesh pre-filter sponges should be rinsed weekly or more frequently.
Hope this helps you.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Purigen should be able to go a couple months between regen's unless your using a real tiny amount.
That depends on a lot of tank variables, and is a matter of opinion.
Using Purigen for as long as a couple of months, adsorbs all the impurities it can handle, and results in saturation of the particulates to a degree that the Purigen has lost most, if not all, of it's effectiveness, long before the 2 months are up. I re-generate long before the Purigen gets very dark brown or black, and find that works most effectively for me.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
That depends on a lot of tank variables, and is a matter of opinion.
Using Purigen for as long as a couple of months, adsorbs all the impurities it can handle, and results in saturation of the particulates to a degree that the Purigen has lost most, if not all, of it's effectiveness, long before the 2 months are up. I re-generate long before the Purigen gets very dark brown or black, and find that works most effectively for me.
Water quality here is pretty decent, usually at the 2 month mark its brown but not real dark, I do find if you let it go to long regen doesn't always bring it back to almost new looking so I try not to let it run that long.

Discus being sensitive I can see doing it more frequent for that kind of setup.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Easy trick for cleaning the spraybars on Emperors is to remove the bar and placing the open end in the tank shake it rapidly up and down a few times.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store