Geophagus brasiliensis help please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

coxzy009

AC Members
Mar 6, 2012
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
Real Name
BENJAMIN COX AKA COXZY
hi how are we all..

ok ive got a few questions if anybody is able to help me out..

i noticed yesterday my
Geophagus brasiliensis has had babies. i noticed them moving them from the rock into the pot i have set up, what i noticed was all white stuff under the rock which im assuming is the spawn ???

the mother is very good, father is good aswell how ever he keeped taking them out of the pot mother putting them back in, then she guarded them all night from the father lol, today she has just now moved them out in the open, i cant tell how many there are coz they are sooo sooo tiny..

the question is: do i leave both parents in the tank with them , the tank is a 6 foot spilt into 2 section so there pretty much 3 foot room with plants pots rocks etc in there....

will the parents harm the young babies at all ???

what do i feed the young ones or when do i start feeding them, i dont even know how old they are as stated only first noticed them yesterday when parents started moving them.

any help would be great as im new to this whole breeding thing....

kind regards hope to hear from someone soon :) :) :D :D :) :)

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I have had a pair of these. Typically speaking they are great parents. They will even cull unhealthy or malformed fry so you don't have to. You won't need to worry about feeding them for acouple of weeks, but after that you will need baby brine shrimp or fry starter flake. They are fun to watch!! Be careful when cleaning the tank, the Father especially WILL attack you.

coxzy009

AC Members
Mar 6, 2012
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
Real Name
BENJAMIN COX AKA COXZY
I have had a pair of these. Typically speaking they are great parents. They will even cull unhealthy or malformed fry so you don't have to. You won't need to worry about feeding them for acouple of weeks, but after that you will need baby brine shrimp or fry starter flake. They are fun to watch!! Be careful when cleaning the tank, the Father especially WILL attack you.
ok thats good then. thanks for the advice

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Your welcome! If it is their first spawn, it may not go perfectly. But I would give them a chance to parent raise. Lots easier if they do.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Good on ya, steph. The father will get kind of nuts, especially if they're the only two fish in the tank. Good luck!

:cheers:

coxzy009

AC Members
Mar 6, 2012
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
Real Name
BENJAMIN COX AKA COXZY
Your welcome! If it is their first spawn, it may not go perfectly. But I would give them a chance to parent raise. Lots easier if they do.
yea its the there first spawn, as i said i was so susprised, will see how they go, its just like a merry go round at the moment, the mother wants em in the pot most the time, the father wants them out lol :)

Good on ya, steph. The father will get kind of nuts, especially if they're the only two fish in the tank. Good luck!

:cheers:
well hopefully he likes me enough not to bite me lol coz yes they are the only 2 in that section of the tank

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
He will definitely bite you. He will also charge you and then turn so as to get you with the spines on his top fins. I left the tank bloody 3 times before I learned my lesson!! LOL

Mine spawned at 3 inches in a community tank! They are just early spawners. Very pretty fish. I was sorry to lose them (October snow storm...no power for 10 days). The fry are CRAZY!!! Lots of fun (and work) coming your way!

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I would just leave it for now. They are extreme excavators! I was amazed at the pits they would dig in my tank. Very fun to watch!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store