Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    dave
    Last Activity
    09-16-2014 11:39 AM

Questions about a 5Gallon bucket of dead coral i just acquired.

I acquired a 5 gallon bucket full of dried up dead coral from my future father in law. Problem is, I have no interest starting up a saltwater tank and incurring all the costs. I have a FW tank right now and all i've heard is not to put dead coral in a FW tank, so that's not an option. from what i can tell, these things would look pretty nice in a saltwater tank.

I noticed that in the FS/T section that there is a "Coral Frag Exchange" subforum. are these things considered coral frags? or would i just put them up for sale in the regular classified section?

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    03-18-2012 7:35 PM
    Sounds like what you have is rock not coral. Coral is the live organism living on the rock.

Sent from my MB870 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    Today 1:52 AM
    they would be coral skeletons....which I suppose would be considered "rock" in some sense since they are mineral, as opposed to animal or vegetable....but then again to be rock you have to be either igneous, sedimentary or metamorphic. Hmm. Interesting philosophical point.

however in answer to your question evident, yes they would be sold in the AC Marketplace rather than the frag exchange as they have no living corals on them. Then again if you have an out of the way corner to stash the bucket in you might just want to hold on to it. Because the day will come--maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life--when the Dark Side will begin to call to you. Then you will wish you had a nice bucket of just such objects readily to hand.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Brad
    Last Activity
    07-26-2014 9:56 AM
    If you decide to do a African Cichlid tank you can use crushed coral to boost the PH and Hardness up. So it does have some use in freshwater, just niche though.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    04-07-2014 5:17 AM
    Nothing wrong with using coral skeletons in a FW tank as long as you understand how it'll effect the tank. Just don't expect to have a low-PH tank if you put it in.

But yeah, definitely can't list them as coral frags. Coral frags are, as the name implies, fragments of a living colony.
    Example: You have living coral colony on a rock with 20 polyps. You break that rock into 4 pieces each including 5 polyps, this is "fragging". Each of the 4 pieces is a "frag". The colony is still alive, it is just now fragmented into 4 smaller colonies.

What you have is a decoration. You could call it "base rock" and try to sell it to saltwater keepers. If you soak it in an established saltwater tank you could upgrade it to "live rock".
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.”
    - Terry Pratchett

Freshwater - 120g, 75g, 28g.
    Saltwater - 40B

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    10-10-2014 5:31 PM
    Blog Entries
    I use dead coral in my invert tank. I use noting else to increase the hardness of my tank water. Through careful monitoring you can establish what is enough or too much.
    "Faith is not about everything turning out OK; Faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out."

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    dave
    Last Activity
    09-16-2014 11:39 AM
    i don't think i really want this stuff in my tank, it seems like alot more trouble than it really is. sure it looks nice, but i'm not ready to introduce something to my tank that will mess with the parameters like that. maybe i'll see if i can get some driftwood for it or something

Thread Information