Nipping Or Fin Rot? Angels

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OwlsHead

AC Members
Mar 6, 2012
I had another thread going about the overall look of my tank, and some were concerned with the look of my black veil Angel.
I think it's a black veil...

Anyway, I didn't think anything of it because this is about how it's looked for like a year now.
And I've never seen another fish in the tank bother it, the other Angel in the tank is best friends with the black veil, and as far as I can tell, it's not "Sick"

It acts normal, eats a ton, etc.

Is it something nipping at it then that I can't see, or disease? Or is it just the way it is?

55G
My stocking is:
2 Angels
3 Gourami (2 Pearl, 1 Blue)
6 Rasboras
6 Neon
6 Rummynose
2 Red Tailed Sharks
2 Swordtails

Tank has been up for around 2 years, these fish have been in there around 1 year.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Both, IMO. Lose the Gs and the RTS....up the water changes big time...

ksterling

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Real Name
Kristin
Agreed drop sharks & guoramis out & maybe the swords as males can get nippy. Looks like fin rot to me too

Sent from my SCH-I405 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Does anyone else notice the pitting on his lateral lines? I've never noticed it like that on my mature angels.

I agree with the fin rot. LOTS of water changes.

What are your water parameters now?

OwlsHead

AC Members
Mar 6, 2012
What are your water parameters now?
Everything but Nitrate is where it should be.
Nitrate is around 40PPM... But the one problem there is, my tap water has around 1.5PPM Ammonia and maybe like 10PPM Nitrate.

So while I do water changes, I try to never do huge ones because I don't want to put all that ammonia in there.
So I'll do like 5 Gallons a week or 10% or so.

Either way, I've been trying to get the Nitrate down for some time, but it just doesn't really budge all that much. I'm sure I could do like a 50-60% change and the ammonia would be fine, but I'm not sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store