Water getting hazy/cloudy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

falcon

AC Members
Dec 16, 2003
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
It is an established tank, 120g. Ammonia, nitriate at 0. Nitrate at about 3ppm, phosphate same thing. It is a planted tank. Presently I am battling algea.

Don't know why but the water is and is getting hazy. Not sure if it's getting worse or not. Did my last wc on Saturday at 45% - aged water.

Why is it getting hazy???:confused:

Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

Falcon

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Take a sample of water out of the tank in a clear container. Hold it against a white back ground. It the cloudiness is whiteish then it is a bacterial bloom, if it is greenish in colour then it is an algae bloom. I would guess algae bloom if you are batteling algae in the tank. I just went through this and it can be common even amoungst established tanks.

When you are removing algae from your tank make sure to do it prior to a water change. Then change a large quantity of water, up to 75%. I had to do this for serveral days but my tank is only 20 gallons. Also a complete black out of your tank for 4-5 days can be very helpful.

Since your tank is so large there is always the option of alge killing chemicals that the LFS's carry. I am reluctant to use them as if they kill algae they can't be great for live plants, but it is an option.

Neither the algae or bacteria are harmful but they generally mean high levels of something in the tank, which could be harmful to the fish. So water changes are always a good idea.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Sometimes I find that you need to take a larger volumn of water out and compare it to some fresh tap water. So do a water change and when you have a good gallon or so it should be very obvioius if the water has a green tint to it. If not then likely it is the bacterial bloom and that will eventually settle it out.

falcon

AC Members
Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Yes, it appears than it's a mild algea bloom. I've seen really green water before and mine compare to that is mild. I wonder if it will go away on its own. For the past 1 1/2 I have been adding ferts to the water so maybe that will settle it out over time. To me, it looks like today the intensity of the haze is less. Will see through the weekend what happens.

In the meantime, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Falcon

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Well the trick is to take away all of the algaes food source. That isn't too easy. Lots of water changes sometimes help but often it isn't enough. Getting the plants to use up all the food before the algae does could help but algae tends to be pretty tough when it gets a foot hold. Often the only thing to do is to cover the tank and cut out all light for 4-5 days. This won't hurt your plants too much. But without light the algae and plants can't use the food source and the algae shoudl be the first to die back to a managable level.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Other than fry I don't think there are fish that eat free floating algae. Adding more fish would just create more food for the algae as well.

And after I cahnaged 50% of my tank water every day for a week and still had an algae bloom (which kicked in on the 1 year anniversary of the tank) I doubt that ammonia alone leads to it. There is obviosuly some food source involved though. And of course chemicals is always an option but should probably be left as a last resort.

falcon

AC Members
Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Thanks all for the replies. Good news, the water is clear again. Not sure what caused it, but I haven't done anything special other than daily fert dosing for the past two weeks. Also, it seems that the algea growth has decreased as well. Still have it on a lot of leafs but will give it time to see if it clears up. If not will trim those leaves.

Falcon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store