Bluegill mating/spawning????? (Want to know)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

The.Kid9

AC Members
Mar 6, 2012
I am not sure if this is the right place for this subject but i want to know if there is anyone who is raising bluegill and have been successful in mating and breeding them...if so what are the signs of knowing that they are gonna mate, and spawn....is there a link that can show this??? i know youtube have a few but i want more info...thanks

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I've spawned a close relative, the Orange Spotted Sunfish and the process is basically the same, except Orange Spots are much smaller and much less aggressive. Basically they need seasonal variation in temperature and day length to spawn. They should be allowed to cool down over the winter and day length should be shortened, preferably to coincide with natural light. Then in the spring raise the temps and lengthen the days to stimulate spawning. I don't know where you live, but around here in SE PA if I were to go out and catch a mature pair of Bluegills today and bring them inside it would be almost a dead bang certainty that they would spawn within a month or so provided they're healthy, well fed, and don't kill each other. If you're in say FL, they've already started. As far as telling when they'll spawn it's easy. If you're used to the way the male looks normally, you'll have no problem telling when he's in the mood. His colors will really glow. Hope this helps.

The.Kid9

AC Members
Mar 6, 2012
yes that helps...im located in california...but still not sure if they are...the male seems to be very active around the female...

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Has the male staked out a territory by digging a small depression?

The.Kid9

AC Members
Mar 6, 2012
yes underneath the filter....but he doesn't seem to be displaying much color...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store