New (to me) 125

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Biggie343

AC Members
Feb 2, 2012
Hudson Valley
I scored a used 125g off craigslist today and I hope I can get some recommendations on equipment.

I see many folks recommend ehiem filters, any particular model for a tank this size? I would like to only run one filter.

Any heater suggestions? brand? wattage?

Is there a particular freshwater testing kit that's better than others?

I am going to try a planted tank for the first time, low tech, but i am interested in co2, I would like to get a kit any good ones out there?

Thanks for reading and any help will be appreciated,

Heath

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Welcome to the forum!!

Congratulations on the 'new' tank. A couple of questions before recommending equipment.

What type/species of fish are you considering for this tank and how many? This will help determine what size/type filter you may need.

What would be the average room temperature the tank will be located in? This helps to determine the heater wattage you will need. I prefer to use 2.5 watts of heater per gallon because my tanks are located in a 70°F basement and all tanks have glass lids.

I like the liquid test kits and purchased the API Master test kit. I'd recommend getting at least the Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, kH and gH tests.

I don't use CO2 so can't recommend a product.

BTW, is this your 1st aquarium?

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
drool at the 125. I wish I had a tank of that size. I think a Eheim 2217 is large enough but not sure. I have that filter and it's nice. Another option in a tank that large is a sump system. That is what I would do with a tank that big but I like overboard and am a little more experienced.

I like my Eheim Jagr heater, if you want the mack daddy the fluval e's are very nice but expensive.

I second the API test kit, they are pretty standard for most of us, you want liquid and they are the common ones.

I don't have a pressurized CO2 kit so I wouldn't be giving you the greatest advice. You can do a lot with low light though, in a tank that size you can grow even swords that get huge. Good luck with the tank.

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
For a planted tank...

Put the high caliber lighting at the -end- of your to do list. A good high tech planted tank is built on a pyramid of CO2, ferts, and light. Light is the easiest one to do and the one that will cause the most problems.

First thing you should be doing is reading and seeing what types of plants interest you and what their requirements are. If you decide to go high tech with pressure CO2, I can't recommend enough building your own rig. Yes, there are "plug and play" kits out there, but frankly, for the money you spend on them, you can build a much more robust and stable CO2 delivery system. And it isn't hard. A few wrenches and some teflon tape is all you will need.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I have a 125. It is a nice sized tank. You can reach the bottom without getting your ears wet!! You can do so much with it. I agree with dudley that knowing your plans would help a bit. I have eheims on my 125. I Have 2 2217s and don't think it is quite enough. I just bought a 2080. My plan is to run it and one of the 2217s on that tank. The 2217 will just have mechanical filtration. I like the redundancy of having two filters on a tank. You have a built in back-up.

If you really only wanted one, I think I would go with the 2080 or 2262 eheim.

As for heaters, I am currently using the ebo jagers. The have bee working great for a couple of years and I have no complaints except they are HUGE. I am changing to inline hydor heaters this next week. They get good reviews and it gets some of the clutter out of the tank.

A 125 is pretty easy to do a low tech, low light set-up.

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
As for heaters, I am currently using the ebo jagers. The have bee working great for a couple of years and I have no complaints except they are HUGE. I am changing to inline hydor heaters this next week. They get good reviews and it gets some of the clutter out of the tank.

A 125 is pretty easy to do a low tech, low light set-up.
I agree with the heater, they are huge!! Another reason in a larger tank I would prefer a sump, you can actually throw the heater in the sump box and keep it out of the tank.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
On my 125 gallon tank I run two filters one Marineland C-360 & aquatech chinese knockoff. I've got a low tech planted tank and that I set up again 4 months ago and I've yet to need to clean a filter. The two filters are a better system for any tank. If one stops for any reason the other can carry the load for a time until you get it up and going. This is a must for me as I travel quite extensively for work.

As for a heater I'd pick up an inline heater that is attached to the filter tubing. These are generally more efficient at getting a balanced temperature in the tank as the heated water circulated through the tank. In planted tanks circulation can be limited as the the plants grow lush and beautiful. I worried about a heater for my tank until I tossed a thermometer. The ten 23W CFL's are keeping the tank at a constant 76-77F (5 degrees above the room temp). Bought a new thermometer and double checked it cause I didn't believe it at first.

Personally I'd not set up a CO2 system on a first try with plants. CO2 does make your plants grow faster but that means that any nutrient imbalance will be shown quicker. Your tank can grow perfectly on your first try or it could turn into the green algae monster over the course of a week. Without the knowledge and experience of how to manage this event it can be very discouraging.

Just make sure to order some dry ferts online and I've had pretty good results with Barr's EI method, modified for the lazy of course. Dosing everyday? don't think so. Make up a mix and dump it in when I remember. If it's been a few days dump in extra. Without CO2 a planted tank has a lot of forgiveness. Besides I need some algae in the tank to keep my BN Pleco's and SAE's happy.

Can't recommend a test kit as I'm too lazy to have ever bothered with one. I generally like to understock and over-filter so I don't really worry about it that much.

Biggie343

AC Members
Feb 2, 2012
Hudson Valley
Thank you all for replying,

I had fish tanks when i was younger but not for at least a decade, I have been reading the forum for a couple months but in the meantime treat me as a noob, I don't mind :)

I had been running several ideas in my head as far as fish go but i think i have decided on an amazon tank Angels, apisto's, some schooling tetra, oto's, cory's, and I am open to suggestions. I just don't want anything big or aggressive.

The ehiem 2217 looked good to me I don't mind spending 200 on a filter but the 2080 and 2262 at 400+ is a little more than I had hoped to spend. I had also considered a sump, I found a diy sump using rubbermaid totes and plastic scrubbies with an overflow system, that seemed an affordable alternative or addition. I also like the idea of hiding the heater there.

As far as plant species i found some info on creating a moss wall and some floating plants like water sprite and micro swords. If I can do this without co2 I certainly won't complain. ;)

Thanks again for all the great responses

Heath

unseenone00

AC Members
Sep 30, 2011
Maryland
Real Name
Nick
Go with the sump for filtration! Hiding the heater is a huge + for the look of the planted tank. That and it can help keep your water level the same in your tank since it will just lower in the sump itself. If you are going with pressurized CO2- the only thing that will work well on a 75g+ tank, then read up on fertilizers. When you start that Co2 up your plants will use up those nitrates quick, and that can cause bluegreen algae slime. You won't like hitting that bump in the road. So keep your eye on the nitrate and keep it above 10ppm. Just go with API master test kit for now. As for lighting... well... do a lot of research first lol

Biggie343

AC Members
Feb 2, 2012
Hudson Valley
The API master kit is in my amazon cart, seems like all are in agreement there. If the sump is sufficient by itself that would be a huge savings. If I can do the plants without co2 I probably do that, I had hoped you could just turn on a self contained kit and it would be good but it seems there is alot more to it.

Thanks again,

Heath

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store