How many BN's?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
I've read that BN males can get aggressive if kept in too close of quarters, but can't seem to find out how much space they actually need. I really like several of the different color variants I've seen of Bristle nose.

Assuming that for every male there is at least one cave and at least one female, how many BN males can I put in a heavily planted standard 50 gal without aggression issues?

Should I stick with just the one pair, or would I likely be able to have two or three pairs? Would it be better to have an 'extra' female or two, or to keep them in pairs? I know each male needs his own cave, but should I have a cave for each female as well?

Thanks for your input! :)

So, of course, after I post this I find many answers in the "related threads" that showed up at the bottom. It seems like the answer is no more than two males, and at least two females but more is better, same with caves, and I should be ready for many many babies. Still looking forward to what you have to say. :)

Also, do the same rules apply if it's a different species of pleco, but of similar size?

Last edited:

bnguy

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
I keep a breeding pair(trio not necessary for me as I get 100+ fry/month) of Bn in 33g 3ft tank. You will need a grow out tank if planning to breed as they are very prolific once started and very messy as well. I usually tansfer the fry once they are 3 weeks old to grow out tank to make room for the next hatch.

I use a 55g 4ft for a grow out/community tank with 29g 3ft for back-up. There are 2 males in the community setup and they keep well together as neither is breeding.

Females do not use caves except for dropping off ther eggs in my experience, tho providing several for your male to choose from is a good idea.

I keep several varieties of dwarf plecs together in same tank... no problems.

Best of luck to you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store