Gold Spot Caridina Shrimp - Immaculate Conception?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

poscom

feesh
Aug 18, 2010
Toronto
Real Name
Daniel
I have had this single gold spot shrimp (some caridina species, not sure the exact species) in a tank of mine. I originally purchased two but one of them died shortly after introduction. How long can they hold sperm before showing eggs? Or are they like chickens and just drop unfertilized eggs...

In the many many months I have had this shrimp I've never seen it berried. I took this photo on Tuesday and there were no signs of eggs.

(click for huge)

This morning I found the remains of a moult in the tank and this afternoon I witnessed the shrimp with eggs for the first time.

(click for huge)

I'm just curious as to whether these are duds or not. Considering the shrimp cost me $7 a piece, I might consider putting her (and her offspring) in a small tank of her own if it looks like there will be babies.

So will my shrimp be giving birth to little shrimp messiahs? :p:

jawasnack

Live plants and fish make you smile
Dec 8, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Gary
It's hard to say without knowing the exact species of shrimp, but when you see eggs then a male has done the deed already!! In about 3 weeks she will either drop the eggs or give birth to baby shrimp!
Good photos too! (and I like the killi fish in your avatar pic, is that a Blue Fin Notho or Nothobranchius Rachovii?)

poscom

feesh
Aug 18, 2010
Toronto
Real Name
Daniel
Wow, that's pretty incredible that she could have been fertilized for so long without any eggs showing up. Come to think of it, I kicked up the temperature in that tank to 27°C from 26°C over the last few days. Maybe that triggered it.

I'm glad you like my avatar pic! Yeah that's an N. Rachovii, tank bred so no location code (well, does Taiwan count? lol)

poscom

feesh
Aug 18, 2010
Toronto
Real Name
Daniel
Sorry for the bump, can't seem to edit my post, but I think I had my taxonomy wrong. It looks like this is a palaemonetes species, not a caridina species. I don't know if that makes much difference though. Might need brackish water to reproduce I guess.

jawasnack

Live plants and fish make you smile
Dec 8, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Gary
I had success breeding ghost shrimp that I picked up from Pet Smart of all places! Sometimes you just never know how the shrimp will adapt to your tank conditions? I have know idea what type of shrimp my "ghost" shrimp really are because they lump about dozen different species under the "ghost" umbrella name.

Good luck with yours

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store