Where to buy discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nterry

AC Members
Dec 10, 2005
Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations on good online places to buy some discus. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Axcid

AC Members
Apr 18, 2011
KC
Real Name
Phil
I was wondering the same thing. I've been looking at www.somethingsphishy.com they seem to have decent prices for discus, but i'm kinda weary of buying when i can't see the exact fish i'm purchasing. Does anyone know of this site or have a different one you would recommend.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Been around discus for a long while, kept them for years, and am a member of simplydiscus.com, where many of the experts are members.

That forum (where they are sponsors) has a good number of very reputable, experienced, long-term suppliers of high quality, healthy, well-shaped discus, but I can't recall ever hearing anybody recommend 'somethingsfishy' as a source for good discus.
They seem to have a lot of very small discus for reasonable prices but if you're just getting started with discus, you shouldn't be buying 2" fish - they're just babies and require a great deal of care and attention to grow them out properly in a BB tank.
And Axcid, you're right, if you can't see the discus you'd be getting, you shouldn't be buying them.
If you're located mid-west to east coast, the place to get discus is Hans' discus in Baltimore, Maryland, a top-notch importer of high quality discus.
If you're nearer to the west coast, the best source of superb quality discus is Kenny's discus (Kenny Cheung) of Daly City, Ca. Both of these suppliers are sponsors on simply discus, and many, many discus people get their fish from them, and are more than satisfied.
Kenny has 'Forrest' of Malaysia discus, one of the top breeders/exporters in the world. I buy nothing but Forrrest discus here in Canada, now supplied by Canadian Aqua Farm in Vancouver, B.C.
Those are my suggestions, but depending on where you're located, I may be able to direct you to good, nearer sources.

Axcid

AC Members
Apr 18, 2011
KC
Real Name
Phil
thanks for the reply. I'm in Kansas City. so sounds like i should check out Hans.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
What paul said! Having been a Simply member for little while, you can't do better than Kenny in the west, Hans in the east (but extra points to Kenny/Forrest, so many amazing discus).

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
What paul said! Having been a Simply member for little while, you can't do better than Kenny in the west, Hans in the east (but extra points to Kenny/Forrest, so many amazing discus).
Right on !
Kenny is the best in the U.S. from what I gather of the numerous postings on Simply praising Kenny's service & gorgeous discus.

Since posting my comments above, I did find a long thread on Simply regarding 'somethingsfishy's' service and poor discus quality, and it seems that all the experiences with them have been very BAD. Dozens of people who ordered from them complained of receiving dead fish, or fish that died within a couple of days, and many didn't get their money back, or received only partial compensation. Nothing good from them - and as one person said: ...."stay FAR, FAR away from anything to do with them...."

Axcid

AC Members
Apr 18, 2011
KC
Real Name
Phil
thanks paul. thats why i like this site, i always get good info. i looked at hans' discus last night and found exactly what i was looking for, i see an order in the next day or two in my future. i really appreciate it.

Shaysfishys

AC Members
Aug 22, 2011
Oregon
I second the be very wary of somethingfishy. got a couple shipments of discus from them years back. Haven't had near the bad experience as others as far as receiving dead fish but it did take some real work to get them to go. Did have another horrible experience with a supplier out of Cali many years ago and lost $400 worth of fish alone but since supposedly they sold the business.

Anyways go with the ones recommended by far, did get some dime size discus from AngelsPlus they all came in healthy, no issues and readily accepted food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store