Heating....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

The.Kid9

AC Members
Mar 6, 2012
is there a way to keep an above ground outdoor pond warm temper for tropical fish when the temps tend to be in the 40s at night??? will a green house help to keep the temp of the area and pond high at about 86degree????

Bushkill

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2011
Bushkill, PA
Real Name
Angelo
Well, with enough money and time just about anything is possible.

They make pool heaters, so if it's enclosed I would say it's possible.

Now the practical side. Expensive proposition to erect and keep running.

If you live in a colder climate area, the difference in temp. during winter will virtually make it rain inside the enclosure, so the choice of material will need special consideration.

Just some thoughts.

The.Kid9

AC Members
Mar 6, 2012
@Bushkill Thank you...

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
I maintained an above ground 5x10 at 60 min for several years . Also had a below ground as well as a 150 tank in an unheated GH.. My min for the time was 27 with a daytime low of 45 but never more than a week duration.
Certainly can be done. Wasn't really that expensive to setup or operate at least in my climate.
The primary purpose was to protect the plants in the GH but of course the fish benefited too lol gary

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
How big is the pond in gallons? Pool heaters are expensive. I cheaper way to go is to get a heater for farm animals. They make them so their drinking water wont freeze. I cant for the life of me recall the name of the water containers, but they range in size from 55 - 200 gallons. They would be tough as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store