First tropical tank :)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TetraBetta

Registered Member
Mar 9, 2012
Hello :) I've recently got my first (of my very own anyway) freshwater tank. I've already got a smaller tank with some goldies in but the tropical tank is my mothers day present off my daughter and hubby. Long story short we are now the proud human parents of 6 little Neons. They came to live with us on Wednesday. I'm in love with them already :) Few Q's about them. They don't seem to be eating, I've been giving them pellets the teeny ones for small fish but they still seem a bit big even though they do sometimes have a tussle with them but I've tried them with a bit of freeze dried bloodworm but they didn't look at them. Are they still settling in so are not ready to eat yet? The shop they were baught at said they were eating pellets there. 2ndly, I've discovered a stowaway! We baught some live plants with them because I generally think they look better and we found a snail last night. He's tiny, probably only as big as a pellet. I'm not sure what he is, he's too small. His shell looks kind of cone shaped but of course he is really small so I can't tell. Should I do something about it or is he fine just to stay there? I'm worried he'll demolish my plants when he gets a bit bigger.

Thanks for any help :)

slorg36

Invert-Fanatic
Jun 7, 2011
Real Name
Myles Parslow
Have you cycled your tank? Because there is a fantastic post about it on the first page of this forum. I think that the reason that your fish aren't eating is that the large amounts of ammonia and nitrites are stressing them out. Do a 20-50% waterchange once a day until they begin to eat a little. You should definitely buy a liquid test kit, they are worth far more than the $30 in the stock that they can save (A 10 Gallon w/ 30 or so $15.00 snails, for example). And about that snail, it sounds like you are describing a Malaysian Trumpet Snail (MTS). They like to dig around in the substrate and they might eat your plants, but not very noticeably. They also breed like crazy.
On a slightly off-topic note, if you have a few goldfish in a tank smaller than 10 Gallon, you NEED to get a bigger tank or give them away. Goldfish produce the most waste of any fish I've ever kept, and contrary to popular belief, keeping them in a bowl or 2 gallon tank will stunt their growth. The lifespan of a goldfish should be 10-15 years at least, so don't talk about having one survive for 2 years without water changes.

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
What slorg said is a way to start. But see if they will eat some live blackworms. I have always found them to be the answer to make fish eat. The snail I probably would not worry about at this time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store