Adding spigot to water storage?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cubequeen

AC Members
Apr 28, 2007
Indiana
www.etsy.com
Real Name
Karen
For producing RO water for the fish, as well as our drinking water, we have a Kent Marine RO unit in the kitchen. Due to the large amount of water needed to produce, the output goes into 5- and 6-gallon water containers rather than a standard RO tank. These containers are a pain because algae grows in the bottoms and the openings are not large enough to get my hand in to clean them. I have tried a long brush, but that still doesn't work so well.

Anyway, I just bought the largest Vittles Vault available, which is supposed to hold 13 gallons. I chose this because it has a HUGE opening for easy cleaning, is food-grade plastic, and is large enough to let the RO run overnight without running over (at least that's my theory). Now comes the problem of how to get the water out. For the time being, a siphon hose is the obvious answer, but I would like to add a spigot. The people on these forums being the DIY geniuses that you are, especially when it comes to dealing with water, I figured somebody must have at one time or other put a spigot on something and could offer some advice. Everything used would have to be safe for fish and humans, as we might be using this for our drinking water as well. Where would I get a suitable, food-safe spigot that is guaranteed not to leak? I read a suggestion for using anti-fungal, food-grade silicone for sealing. I'm guessing the anti-fungal part would be a no-no for fish water, but I Googled food grade silicone, so apparently there is such a thing, but I'm thinking it would probably have to be ordered online.

Any help would be appreciated.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Such things are readily available from places that sell supplies for winemaking and home brewing beer.

cubequeen

AC Members
Apr 28, 2007
Indiana
www.etsy.com
Real Name
Karen
Such things are readily available from places that sell supplies for winemaking and home brewing beer.
Thanks for steering me in the right direction. Looks like what I'm after is called a bucket spigot

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
Thanks for steering me in the right direction. Looks like what I'm after is called a bucket spigot
You could also get one from a water store that sells the ceramic crocks for inverting the 5 gal water bottles.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Check Flexpvc.com.

Although, I'd suggest a different approach. Order a Uniseal fitting the size that you want from aquaticeco.com. Drill the appropriate size hole in your container. Pop in the Uniseal, shove a piece of pvc through the hole, then attach a ball valve to the pvc.

You can substitute a spigot fitting from flexpvc.com for the ball valve.

cubequeen

AC Members
Apr 28, 2007
Indiana
www.etsy.com
Real Name
Karen
Nolapete,

Uniseals!! I like that idea. Seems like I came across those when searching for something years ago, but forgot about them. If they are true to their claims, I wouldn't have to mess around with gaskets and silicone sealant, right? And it seems to me that PVC fittings might hold up better than those bucket spigots. I should be able to get the PVC fittings I need locally, but flexpvc.com has the most amazing selection of PVC fittings I've ever seen, stuff I never imagined even existed, like the manifolds.

Now I just hope I can get a hole drilled without messing up a container that cost me nearly $50.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
Do you have a place like "Water and Ice" they sell drinking water that you refill the big 5 gallon jugs. You can buy a bulkhead fitting with a spigot on it.

cubequeen

AC Members
Apr 28, 2007
Indiana
www.etsy.com
Real Name
Karen
Hmmm.... Never heard of "Water and Ice". For now I've just been using a siphon hose.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store