BGK sick?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I received my Black Ghost Knife about 4 days ago. He is small at only 1.5". He has spent the past 4 days hiding in the back corner near the heater. I assumed he was being timid and needed time to adjust to the tank. This morning I was excited for a split second when I saw him near the front of the tank. Then I realized he was lying on the bottom and breathing rapidly. I filled a 1g bucket with clean tap water at the temp of the tank, primed it then transferred the ghost knife. His breathing has seemed to return to a more normal pace but he is still fairly inactive. I am also finishing a large 75% WC as I write this and will return him to the tank when it is done. I know BGK's are supposed to be sensitive when small so I have been monitoring him closely. He hasn't shown any signs of disease with the exception of being shy and not eating. I do weekly 50% plus water changes. Parameters are fine.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
How did you acclimate him to the tank upon receiving him? Any reason you didn't do a QT in a seperate tank?

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
Floated in the bag for about 15 min. Transferred into 1g bucket with bag water and I slowly added tank water over about 30 min until the bucket was nearly filled. Then netted into the tank. And yes there is a reason for no QT, poor judgement :shakehead:. Many of this fish in the tank are new within the past month, so I disregarded the concern for keeping disease out of the tank. I should have thought more about monitoring and keeping disease out of the BGK.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Do you know if the water he was raised in is drastically different than your tank parameters?

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I'm not sure I didn't think to test the water in the bag.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I covered the sides of the tank to keep the morning sunlight out and have been keeping an eye on him. I've caught him swimming around a few times but mostly just lying on the bottom in the back corner. I'm not overly familiar with normal BGK behavior. I don't know if it's normal for this fish to lay on the bottom but over the past few days he has stayed mostly mid-low level, which worries me now.

BruinsBro1997

AC Members
Dec 12, 2011
California
Real Name
Ben
Floated in the bag for about 15 min. Transferred into 1g bucket with bag water and I slowly added tank water over about 30 min until the bucket was nearly filled. Then netted into the tank. And yes there is a reason for no QT, poor judgement :shakehead:. Many of this fish in the tank are new within the past month, so I disregarded the concern for keeping disease out of the tank. I should have thought more about monitoring and keeping disease out of the BGK.
Are there any tank mates in the tank that could have caused it stress?

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
Do you have a cave or something for him/her to hide in or under?

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
The only thing that I can think of that may have bothered him is a CPO that I have in the tank. Otherwise its just cories and tetras. The tank is fairly heavily planted. There are also a couple caves that he can use to hide in.

EDIT: A note on the CPO. I've never seen him bother a fish before. I kept him in a 10g with a bunch of RCS for a while and never saw a single adult or juvi disappear.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
He died :( Still not really sure why.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store