Building Aquariums

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dodoli

Registered Member
Mar 12, 2012
I would like to build an aquarium. The sizes are: height 140cm (4.5 feet), length 120cm (4 feet), width 100cm (3.3 feet).
The material has to be 20mm thick acrylic (preferably tinted light blue).
I need advice on which kind of glue can hold this together and whether it needs to be strengthened with stainless steel strips.

Any help on who could help me do this is much appreciated. Thanks

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Given the required 4.5' height I would think that 20mm acrylic would be too thin. Something you should DEFINITELY look into.

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
I've messed around with acrylic stuff off and on for a few years now.
I've made over-flows, sumps, filters etc. And have a clue as to how it's "supposed" to be done.

Making a 4.5 ft tall aquarium, is not a beginner project.

My advise would be to go to someone like this... http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/index.aspx and spend 5-6k(wild guesstimate) to have them make it. Oppossed to spending 2.5k+ on the materials, too have it fail when 3/4 the way full.

If the tank is made correctly or not, I don't believe a frame made of stainless angle will do any good.

Mean while, you could get yourself some 6mm(+/-) acrylic. And see what it takes to make something like a 35cm T, 30cm L, 25cm W tank.
You should be a ble to experiment with this for a $100(US), compared to spending 2k on what would end up at best... a really cool dog house.

dodoli

Registered Member
Mar 12, 2012
Thanks for the advice. However, I would think that 6mm is way too thin to hold so much water.
Do you know of a good bonding material that holds together acrylic?

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
This member can teach you a lot...
Wow, thanks!
I'd been away from the forum for a couple of years, and hadn't come across him since I've been back.
I was on a thread the other day wishing we had someone here that really knew acrylic.
The bad part is that I'm finding this at 11PM lol. No sleeping for me tonight. :hypnotized:

See ya over there dodoli. :)

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Weld-on #7 is a good acrylic glue to use. I do however believe that 20mm is marginal for a tank that tall. It may work, but you will have significant bowing.

Andy

Ryi

Shrimp fear me
Feb 10, 2009
Sunny Florida
SMinNC's comment
you could get yourself some 6mm(+/-) acrylic. And see what it takes to make something like a 35cm T, 30cm L, 25cm W tank
was, I believe, a suggestion the 6mm would be a less expensive way to learn not only technique but the abilities and limitations of the material on smaller prototypes.

You said very specifically
The material has to be 20mm thick acrylic
. You already have this and want to use it to build a tank? At 4 1/2 feet tall it is going to be very difficult to perform maintenance.

There are many people here who can help but the more information you can give them, the more accurate the advice.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store