Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Ellis
    Last Activity
    10-18-2013 12:16 AM
    I think I may have a handle on the situation at this point. Jack is completely back to his old self, happily greeting me, searching for food and has waxed off the fruit flies that were still walking around on the water. He immediately perked up and continued to do so since my last post. After changing the water etc. I ran down to my LFS and had a chat with their good cichlid guy, he was allot of help and after discussing what may possibly be going on we basically narrowed it down to the only possible cause, in his opinion, being constipation. So, at this point the plan is to fast him for tomorrow and feed once lightly the night after and see if he's into food again (although since he's snitching left over FFs i'm sure he is). Now, I may just be seeing things and there may be no correlation here at all, but, after I came home I set up to watch him for a while. During that time he was still somewhat pale around his belly but swimming much better, finally caught his second BM since this all started that I've seen and it was normally formed, not stringy, but huge...his belly immediately darkened back up the rest of the way and we're off to the races. Now...I know that there are a few variables at play here.
    I've done the following:
    -Added an airstone
    -Added activated carbon
    -Did a large WC with 1degree colder water (dropped temp from 78 to 77)
    -He had a large poo
    Result? he's happy now.

Please I'm really trying to get a solid handle on this fish, what do ya'll think was going on? toxins in the water? constipation? grumpy? I'd like to be able to hone in on which of the things may have been effective or whether this is a combination of issues?

P.S. He really did go pretty nuts on the Mysis shrimp right before this happened not a huge feeding but definitely the strongest feeding reaction I've seen out of him yet.
    Last edited by Fozzybear; 03-15-2012 at 12:16 AM.
    "Two Things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble. Mahatma Gandhi

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Aviva
    Last Activity
    12-04-2012 3:31 PM
    Blog Entries
    To be honest it probably isn't one simple answer, probably a combination of things, like he ate food he liked, and he may have been constipated and now feels better, and the large water change probably all helped him out and made him more happy. Glad to hear he's feeling better

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Ellis
    Last Activity
    Yeah, biology has this funny way of never taking the simple answer...I'll be keeping a close eye on him still and will see if anything else develops. Also, any of you old pro's have a trick that I'm missing? I'm I doing anything pointless? I'd love to figure out a good bag of tricks for this type of deal.
    "Two Things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble. Mahatma Gandhi

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Ellis
    Last Activity
    Little bugger is acting funny again. Not quite so blanched out as he was, but still not spending allot of time swimming or showing full color, still very little food response. He's just kind of hanging out under the wood and anubias all day, I'm not quite quite convinced that he's actually sick right now. This level of behavior may just be grumpy but I'm not sure. He's no longer having trouble swimming like he was, but still doesn't quite seem to feel like it. Anyways, today is when I do all my WCs so I think I'm going to do his as usual and see if that effects his behavior (he's really perked up at the last two changes) and I'm wondering if I should trade him and my angels spots for a couple days and see if it has a change on either of their behavior. If there is something going on with Jack's tank that i can't get to show up on tests then they angels should show Jack's symptoms and Jack should perk up in the 50. BUT, if Jack is just angry and stressed then that would seem to me the worst possible solution. MG, Jinkzd, Jeta, RB? any of you pros want to weigh in? please?

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    David
    Last Activity
    11-20-2013 1:33 AM
    Actually with EBJD's its common practice to pre-treat for internal parasites since they are so prone to them. I've had good results with jungle parasite clear, which has both prazi and metro in it. I treated mine once when I first got him and haven't had any issues since. As far as the mood goes, it could be a number of things, mine is very timid and still doesn't come out when people are at the tank. As long as he is eating well and not showing any other symptoms I would just wait and see.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Ellis
    Last Activity
    thanks allot dude. I may look into that med since I haven't dosed him yet and he's in a tank all by himself so, its relatively easy.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Ellis
    Last Activity
    Okay, well, jack is eating, vigorously, and just hung out with me for a solid 10 minutes begging, and uh lets see...what else, oh yeah, he's currently got about a 1/2" stringy white poo hanging out of his butt. I mean its big and gross and I'm pretty sure its some sort of dead worm. I got Jack onto API's General Cure, and I'm thinking Jack may have been dealing with tapeworm. Anyways, the last couple days of medication have been interesting, Jack's health took a really hard spike down when I first dosed and I really thought I'd screwed the pooch but he's been perking up every time he passes a worm. Also, today is the first time I've had him eating now since I started fasting him at that last post. Hopefully I'll be posting again here in a couple days that I've finished the meds and he's 100% and back to his perky happy old self, I have a feeling he will and am ready to be done with this period. Glad it looks like I'll be keeping him around for a minute.

Question: Do you think dead/sick parasites cause fish more discomfort than live healthy ones or the other way around? I've notice Jack has really had a negative reaction to garlic every time I've dosed it and had the initial negative reaction to the meds...I'm wondering if the parasites not liking things or dying was what was giving him some of the more acute symptoms? i.e. having to now pass a large dead worm hurting his belly?

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    David
    Last Activity
    I don't know what is in that 'general cure' treatment. If it has antibiotics in it, that could explain some behavior changes, since some fish stress in reaction to some of that stuff.

Metro/prazi has always done the trick for me, and I would still use it even now if you still see stringy poo and if that general cure doesn't have those meds in it.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Ellis
    Last Activity
    the general cure is 250mg metronidazole and 75mg Praziquantel per 10g dose. You dose once, let it sit for 48 hrs, dose again and let it sit for 48 hrs, then 25% WC and add activated carbon. I went to my LFS looking for the jungle parasite clear but they don't stock it so I got their top shelf stuff that had the same active ingredients. Jack again greeted me when I came into the office tonight just before lights out and was actually begging again and starting to really look like he's gonna make the turn on this one. Thank you David, seriously

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    David
    Last Activity
    That stuff sounds fine, I'd just keep on with it. It sounds like he's coming around so hope he pulls through.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information