Where to find a cheap new tank...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Felidae

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
I'm starting a fish tank at my yacht club, and there are concerns about leaks, cracks, etc so I want a new tank to hush all the complaints. God forbid something were to happen, at least they would know its the companies fault and not my own for providing a faulty tank. I wish I knew I was going to be doing this earlier to take advantage of the dollar per gallon sale!! I went to the local places near me and the cheapest I can currently find is around 130. Any suggestions?

Felidae

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
I'm looking for a 55. And I was looking online about the dollar a gallon sale and said that they just had one and it ended in january. Doubtful they would have one so soon. I wonder when the next one is

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
You may be able to find something Craig's List, but I would make sure to see it set up with water. Oops, just noticed you specified "new". I don't blame you, but the dollar per gallon sales are the best deal, even though they may be only two or three times a year. Sometimes they'll have them close together, though, you never know.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Lately it seems they've been doing the $1 sale every 3-4 months so I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the next flyer or the one after. Pet Supplies Plus also does one occasionally but that one just ended last month.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
Forgive me but yacht club and couponing for fish tanks are two things I didn't think I would ever read in one sentence...LOL...I agree with the above Petco's 1 per is gonna be your best bet for tanks. Do you have any mom and pop shops that you could talk with?

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
x2 Yacht Club & Cheap Tank = ??? had me laughing for that one.

I'd go around the LFS stores. Most of the better ones realize that if they give you a tank a at a low profit they can make a lot of money on higher margin fish. I got my brand new 125 tank for $300. I've think I've spent more than that in the shop on fish and supplies in the past four months.

kcartwright856

AC Members
Mar 8, 2012
Millersburg, PA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
KC
I would go the Craigslist route. Find a seller that is willing to fill the tank so that you can check for leaks before handing over the money. If it's dirty, some elbow grease and white vinegar will go a long way! You can say that it was a display tank at the store if anyone asks!

I'm not a huge fan of white lies, but it is a bit silly to insist on a new tank when there are perfectly good tanks out there to be recycled!

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
I would go the Craigslist route. Find a seller that is willing to fill the tank so that you can check for leaks before handing over the money. If it's dirty, some elbow grease and white vinegar will go a long way! You can say that it was a display tank at the store if anyone asks!

I'm not a huge fan of white lies, but it is a bit silly to insist on a new tank when there are perfectly good tanks out there to be recycled!
Except that if it's for a business, there's insurance and liability involved. And while I know, and you know, and most of the people on these forums know, that a used tank in good condition will house fish just as well as a new tank, most businesses aren't willing to take that kind of risk. Buy it new, and it comes with a warranty, guarantees, and someone to blame and hold responsible if something does go wrong. Businesses like that sort of thing...

kcartwright856

AC Members
Mar 8, 2012
Millersburg, PA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
KC
Except that if it's for a business, there's insurance and liability involved. And while I know, and you know, and most of the people on these forums know, that a used tank in good condition will house fish just as well as a new tank, most businesses aren't willing to take that kind of risk. Buy it new, and it comes with a warranty, guarantees, and someone to blame and hold responsible if something does go wrong. Businesses like that sort of thing...
I suppose that makes sense. I don't know anything about yacht clubs, so I wasn't aware that they were businesses!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store