Help my Angelfish!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stephenpence

What.. my name isn't enough?
Feb 9, 2010
So, i went to a fish auction that was about 4 hours from my house. i ended up with an angelfish and i did my best to keep him alive until i got back home, but that entailed an overnight stay. I set up a temp tank with clean, distilled water, heater, and air pump. (i know this isn't ideal, but it's better than keeping them bagged up). so in the morning, i bagged them, and drove them home. by the time he got to my tank, one side of his gills were showing bright red (he's a koi). i acclimated him into the tank, and he was lethargic at best. in the morning, he was upside down on the bottom of the tank, but alive. I moved him to a breeder box hanging on the side of the 55gal and put him somewhere where he'd get a little bit of flow through the tank. He's gone from upside-down.. to laying on his side, to swimming upright, although still really lethargic. he won't take food. I'm desperate to try and nurse him back to health, but i don't know if this is a patience thing, or if there's something i can be doing for him. the water is at 82 degrees and it's a well established, well cycled tank. I'm opperating under the assumption that i'm dealing with an ammonia overdose of sorts... but i noticed this morning that theres a 'cloud' type thing around one of his lower fins... any help would be appreciated. I can't stand to see this little guy die!

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
The red gills do sound like an ammonia problem. The 'cloudy' fin could possibly be mucus hyperproduction, which can occur due to transportation stress. How's the poor guy doing today?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store