150 gallon shrimp pond?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

daphilster08

AC Members
Sep 8, 2009
St. Paul/Duluth(college) Minnesota
Hey guys,

I have two 150 gallon plastic bins I was thinking about either setting up for betta macrostoma or a shrimp breeding paradise. Or maybe both ;)
Here is the thing, I am from Minnesota. So I was going to set it up now since all the snow is pretty much melted and throw some wood in there to start growing some algae. It gets pretty hot here in the summer but the nights can get a little cool as well. Do you think most kinds of bee or tiger shrimp could do in here? Don't want to do cherries because they are too common around here.

In the end, I was hoping to build up enough micronutrients and algae by june to have a self sustaining shrimp breeding paradise. Give me your thoughs/ideas/criticism for this project.

Thank you very much!

~ Phil

PS if anyone in the US has any extra bee or tiger variations they are willing to start me off on this project let me know :naughty: It would be greatly appreciated.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Dont rule winter out yet. In our parts of the country it can come suddenly even into May. I'm not sure I would risk a tropical species until at least mid-may.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
sounds like it will be neat to say the least. I've only kept neocaridina so I cant tell you whether bee or tigers would be fine. The only thing that would concern me is the temp fluctuation at night. You should probably get a heater of some sort just to keep temps more stable. Let me know how it works out!

FrenchFry

AC Members
Feb 7, 2011
Sounds like a fun project! In my experience, tigers are hardier than bees, so they may be able to withstand the temperature fluctuations better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store