3-4 bulb 12" T5 light fixture?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
I'm looking to upgrade the lighting in my 15 gal column tank so I get better growth out of my plants. Right now the fixture only uses 1 T5 8 watt bulb, which doesnt really do much, especially for the ground cover plants. I havent been able to find a fixture though that would fit. I am hoping to have 4 bulbs, but if I can only get away with 3 that would work too. I was looking into "u" and circular bulbs, but all are too big so far.

Dimensions are 13.5 inches x 13.5 inches.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
The only thing I worry about with a fixture like that is that the top of the tank has a really tiny lip because of the plastic "canopy". I'm not sure a fixture like that would sit safely on top of the tank. Definitely something to look into though, thanks!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Aqueon collumn? Everyone with one on the nano reef boards im on couldnt find any ready to go t5 fixtures and either did DIY LED's or MH. DIY LED would probably be your best bet for planted.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Don't think I'd trust the cheapo LED's to be able to grow much of anything, the straight DIY using a few cree led's would work for sure, or some of the premade strips from ecoxotic or current usa should work as well.

Heres one with CFL mod that would most likely be the cheapest DIY route. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/equipment/161451-15-gallon-column-what-have-you.html
I saw that thread. I'm just so not handy and I'm not sure I could safely rig a light like that. I'll definitely look into it more.

I really like the idea of using the LED bulbs to just replace the bulb I have too. I think I will probably end up going that route. The LED bulbs in my fluval edge grow plants like crazy.

Thanks for all the info guys! I was so discouraged before. Now I at least have some good options to check out!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I really like the idea of using the LED bulbs to just replace the bulb I have too. I think I will probably end up going that route. The LED bulbs in my fluval edge grow plants like crazy.

Thanks for all the info guys! I was so discouraged before. Now I at least have some good options to check out!
Just remember not all LED's are equal the cheapy china jobs most likely aren't as good as the Fluval's. If the direct replacment bulbs don't work out for you consider something like this for a fall back http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewi...campaign=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_content=CU03000 other online sources have them cheaper but this site shows some reviews, you could run it with your current t5 bulb. I have 2 larger strips and each one has the brightness of about 2 T5's.

Jody

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
I was only showing ideas on bulbs and fixtures its up to each individual to decide if they want cheap knock offs or more expensive home grown models

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Wasn't trying to knock you or anything, just wanted to point out some of the cheaper LED options aren't best for planted tanks. The T5 drop ins are new to me never saw those before, I was researching back in Sept for medium light planted I wanted to go LED but none of the factory fixtures were good for anything other then lowlight.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store