I am starting to think something is wrong with the guppy?help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iluvglowfishys

AC Members
Dec 7, 2011
It is a fancy tail guppy, yellow. The one only fish I bought from petsmart and he's just been staying up at the top of the water. Day one and two he was very active. Now just hanging at the top and his tail has red spots? Tiny tiny that I didn't notice before..., is any of this normal ???

cradlefan

AC Members
Jul 24, 2008
Real Name
Kris
I have had lots and lots of guppies, I have had them get all kinds of diseases (when I bought from PetsMart, which I don't anymore). Anyway, I have had guppies get all kinds of things and never seen red spots on a tail. Can you post any pictures? Guppies tend to hang out at the top, that's natural, is he eating? What are your tank parameters? Usually guppies hang out towards the top of the tank, but swim pretty actively when they are getting fed or playing. What other fish are in your tank?

iluvglowfishys

AC Members
Dec 7, 2011
Ok, here is the info you asked, thank you in advance for the help! 1. the water is the same as it has been, ph 7.6-7.8 76 degrees, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites.. been up for about 3 months., first i added plants at very begining. two live plants... 3 weeks after I added 1 white skirt tetra, then a week or so after 2 more white skirt tetra. all very healthy. Then over a month after that one dwarf blue gourami. these all came from a local pet store ,.. ten gal tank by the way. Everything was still fine. Last weekend whet to PETSMART and got two new plants and this guppy. Guppy was fine first two days, swimming all over. Then monday tuesday he started hanging in the same spot. same this morning... water still looks well. the only thing I did diffently was clean the gravel this weekend. I bought a ball pump gravel cleaner and did a 25 % water change. all the other fish are eating and happy., guppy did not eat.

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
I still think he will perk up if you get him 2-3 more buddies. It may just be the picture, but is his tail nipped up? Like are there signs of bullying from other fish? Again just might be the pic, he looks to be healthy otherwise, based on info and pic. Does it seem like he tries to get the food when you do general feeding or is he not even trying? He may feel out competed by the other fish, again goes back to this being a schooling fish, who is really uncomfortable without others of his kind there (schools make them feel comfy and happy)

iluvglowfishys

AC Members
Dec 7, 2011
His tail to me doesnt seem nipped. I think your right, I think hes lonely... the other fish seem to leave him alone.. I dont really see him going for the food. :/ Ill check when I get home to see how hes doing. One guy on my filter post said I had too many fish in there? I thought everything was going well... I am thinking of getting the aquaclear for 30 gal and that will bump up my filitration!! :)

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
To be honest people tell me I'm over stocked all the time. I have A 30 gallon with a Penguin bio-wheel 200 filter, stocked with 6 rosy tetras, 4 pristilla (x-ray) tetras, 2 dojo loaches, 3 killi fish, and 3 otos. So 18 2+inch fish in a 30, yet I've had no problems since I've had it in my current stock level (lost 1 rosy tetra yesterday, but it was old age). I just have a good amount of both floating and planted palnts (like yours seems to be) and do 30% water changes twice a month. Added filtration is always helpful! And yes, I still say get at least 2 more guppies for the lonely guy and see if he improves, and keep us updated!

EDIT: I actually was fine before the floating plants, they are just cool to have, but really annoying at the same time.

Last edited:

iluvglowfishys

AC Members
Dec 7, 2011
Aviva,I just ordered a aquackear filter for 30 gal! Thats going to up my filtration :) I think your right about the guppy. He is doing fine just needs friends! Will get two this week. Going to feed them in a bit and see how he does! I will def keep you posted :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store